Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just an example: integration of documentation and IDE
BAM is a stand-alone wiki for creation of BASIC programs.

It could also contain the programming reference, but that would make BAM heavier than I like, and would make the programming reference heavier than I like.  So the programming reference is a separate wiki.

When I look up documentation, I like to see sample source code, right there, embedded in the documentation.

But I also want to see the running program.

Here is what the programming reference does:

When I lookup a statement or function (let's say "CIRCLE"), the page for that documentation includes an iframe that shows relevant content from the BAM wiki.  The URL for the iframe is dynamically created by the programming reference, setup in a way that the BAM wiki is displayed in a way that matches the needs of the programming reference.  For CIRCLE, the programming reference generates the following URL fed to the iframe to use as SRC parameter, and now I have CIRCLE documentation enhanced with source code examples which I can run, right there:

The dynamically generated URL (click to see what the iframe in the programming reference would display.)

EDIT 2022-11-16: pasted the wrong URL in the code section below.  Fixed.
Code: (Select All)
https://basicanywheremachine.neocities.org/BAM_IDE.html?target=CIRCLE#View%20Program

That is my kind of documentation.  I've never seen this kind of thing done anywhere else, but it my world, it would be the norm.

Attached Files Image(s)