Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fully Featured Sudoku App
I will be adding to this little corner of forum my QB64 code as I check them in through Linux QB64 v 1.5 (I don't need debug), they already work fine in Windows v2.0 

Sudoku is by far my most used and favorite app I've created with QB64 and version 2020-08-08 has been tested allot! 

The Sudoku app has 2 screens, the first is just an Info/Help screen from which you enter a level of play.

Levels are mostly determined by the number of clues you are given, the more the easier.
The lower levels are for practice or flash card like automatic skills builder. 6 gives intermediate puzzle 7 a little harder intermediate 8 would be hardest but takes longer to build for unique solution and may end up a level 7 puzzle.
9 gives you a blank puzzle and puts you in Make Mode and you can click in a puzzle from newspaper or book.
Remember to click back to Puzzle Mode when done making the puzzle.

The Puzzle screen has some menu buttons:
The first on left toggles the solution, ON OFF
The 2nd from left toggles the check cell mode. ON will not allow you to make a simple error of putting a 2nd number in row, column or 3x3 cell block and beep you if you try. Just because you are not beeped, doesn't mean it is correct.
The Load and Save buttons work with one Temp file. Just rename that file or copy and rename if you want to store a special puzzle, perhaps one that was particularly hard. Otherwise every time you save a puzzle the last one in Temp will be overwritten.

Play: Is basically clicking a number from number palette and left click a cell to answer or right click to toggle a note of that number on and off again. To remove a number clicked in, set the number palette to 0, click that in and then reset to number you want to do next.
[Image: Sudoku-Info-Levels.png]

[Image: Sudoku-Puzzle-sheet.png]

Updated for color fix in later versions of QB64pe.exe

Attached Files
.zip   Sudoku 2023-12-30 color fix.zip (Size: 539.32 KB / Downloads: 18)
Wow, nice, this is the notorious B+ sudoku! I had to rename the .bas file to 'Sudoku.bas' to run and, also, linux filenames are case sensitive

Level 0 is my favourite!
Oh dang! That reminds me I wanted to check the download in Linux too!

Whew! I thought there might be a naming problem from vince post, but OK on my distro and system, screen shot attached. Played quick game right from download.

[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-22-16-44-54.png]

Yes, this is The Official notorious b+ Sudoku Mod Smile

Lets see level 0, hmm... behind the flag with the District of Columbia?
Oh wait Level 0, I thought vince was pulling my leg.

There is a Level 0 and it does have a purpose. You start with a completed puzzle and switch to Make mode and then design your puzzle from that. Whether the puzzle has a unique solution or not is not as important as having an interesting design to show.

[Image: Level-0.png]

[Image: Make-puzzle-from-level-0.png]

It's been so long since I worked the code, I think I forgot even then to make this option known on the first page.

Here is another designer Sudoku:
[Image: B-Sudoku.png]

[Image: Plus-Sudoku.png]
(04-22-2022, 11:45 AM)bplus Wrote: I will be adding to this little corner of forum my QB64 code as I check them in through Linux QB64 v 1.5 (I don't need debug), they already work fine in Windows v2.0 

Sudoku is by far my most used and favorite app I've created with QB64 and version 2020-08-08 has been tested allot! 

The Sudoku app has 2 screens, the first is just an Info/Help screen from which you enter a level of play.

Levels are mostly determined by the number of clues you are given, the more the easier.
The lower levels are for practice or flash card like automatic skills builder. 6 gives intermediate puzzle 7 a little harder intermediate 8 would be hardest but takes longer to build for unique solution and may end up a level 7 puzzle.
9 gives you a blank puzzle and puts you in Make Mode and you can click in a puzzle from newspaper or book.
Remember to click back to Puzzle Mode when done making the puzzle.

The Puzzle screen has some menu buttons:
The first on left toggles the solution, ON OFF
The 2nd from left toggles the check cell mode. ON will not allow you to make a simple error of putting a 2nd number in row, column or 3x3 cell block and beep you if you try. Just because you are not beeped, doesn't mean it is correct.
The Load and Save buttons work with one Temp file. Just rename that file or copy and rename if you want to store a special puzzle, perhaps one that was particularly hard. Otherwise every time you save a puzzle the last one in Temp will be overwritten.

Play: Is basically clicking a number from number palette and left click a cell to answer or right click to toggle a note of that number on and off again. To remove a number clicked in, set the number palette to 0, click that in and then reset to number you want to do next.
[Image: Sudoku-Info-Levels.png]

[Image: Sudoku-Puzzle-sheet.png]

Oh! This is putting the zip file at the top of the post! No wonder I couldn't find it.
I actually had a version of that on my computer that i got from an old qb64.net archive.
Might be the same versions, but i'm not sure.
OK I am sure I made a couple of improvements since the post at .net, Oh if you got the Christmas Sudoku with Images at .org the code here should be very similar. (I am debating posting old stuff now that we have Luke's server giving us a read only version. I've yet to check if my bookmarks work for that...)

At Steve's old forum I did post an update and just before I posted here there was a case problem with the .Icon file name which does nothing in Linux but complain if it can't find the file because it is so SenSitive to caSe ;-)) (Fixed for this post)
b = b + ...
So nice to have this here, when my main drive is replaced by another!
b = b + ...
(07-13-2022, 04:16 PM)bplus Wrote: So nice to have this here, when my main drive is replaced by another!

Dang all my Sudoku's with images are being cut off at the bottom by the Task bar.

Hmm... maybe time for a Sudoku GUI update!
b = b + ...
Fix colors for Sudoku full featured app:

Attached Files
.zip   Sudoku 2023-12-30 color fix.zip (Size: 539.32 KB / Downloads: 18)
b = b + ...
(07-14-2022, 12:43 AM)bplus Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 04:16 PM)bplus Wrote: So nice to have this here, when my main drive is replaced by another!

Dang all my Sudoku's with images are being cut off at the bottom by the Task bar.

Hmm... maybe time for a Sudoku GUI update!

update 2024-01-01
Dang I fixed this in Games but forgot to fix it here, hope this links to Games update:
https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...4#pid22194

In some ways doing it with images seems easier or faster once you've adapted to using images which takes a couple days to acclimate.
b = b + ...