Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser
> I checked it out, 4289 LOC huge and complex. I got it working fast enough with .\ fixes added to files that didn't have them.

Thank you for the feedback, you mean the lacking ".\" in "memKAZE" header?!

Code: (Select All)
Declare CustomType Library ".\dirfile"
Declare CustomType Library "memKAZE"
Declare CustomType Library ".\treedump"

> The screen is too large for my laptop but was cool watching the box grow out down and right when starting. Honestly had no idea how to use it, I clicked something and it was gone.

Sorry for that, really wanted to support that sturdy old laptops with 1366x768, however wanted all the key/mouse combos to be shown at start (hard to fit them in less than 1600x900).
As for unexpected exit, no guess what caused it, maybe during the allocation of the 8GB failed, yes I experimentally target million of files with their full path.
In incoming r.6 will try to make things more friendly.

> (I am more a mouser than Key-combo guy.)

Same here, the three button mouse is a-must for fast navigations, yet keyboard+pad always has to be covered.
For many years I used crappy mice, but no more, for few years now I use 'White Shark' (kinda knock-off or licensed) - nearly identical to the 'Dragonwar', these are the TANKS of mice, so sturdy, so heavy, so ergonomic, love them.

Highly recommend both brands, however being 8+ years old they are hard to find:

https://youtu.be/E2790wt7pfk?t=486

> Looks truly speedy! Probably uses your sorting work you showed us in the other forum.

Not really, haven't optimized it, there is redundancy for the sake of visual feedback, for example rereading the whole current folder recursively is unnecessary, yet wanted to give the total number first, in case of having 3+ million files.
Sorting is written in plain QB64, not the optimized C variant from my MANATARKA header, all the C functions (sort, search, hash, vectorized lowercasing) are to be added in next revisions.
My Quicksort quest ended in the summer, beaten (in single thread, algorithmically) by the awesome Dutch coder Igor van den Hoven a.k.a. Scandum, yet, I managed to write the fastest console tool for sorting lines of a given file. It is a Linux/Windows console tool beating GNUsort (on at least for up to 8 threads CPUs).
Since Windows' sort tool is awful (kinda left in DOS times, unable to sort lines longer than 65535 chars!) I did a showdown with the only cross-platform sort analog of GNUsort - RUST coreutils, my tool being 2x faster on sorting the whole Linux kernel 6:
https://github.com/uutils/coreutils/issues/4049
As always it is 100% FREE and open-source:

Here it is, sourcecode and Linux/Windows binaries:

.7z   Schmekerezada_Sourcecode_Linux-Windows_Binaries_2022-Oct-29.7z (Size: 1.35 MB / Downloads: 50)

> Does this have multiple select to copy and paste pathed files and/or folders to _Clipboard?

No, the initial idea was (and still is) Dirwalker to be a pure browser (not manager), kinda viewer not touching files. My wish is to refine the interface (many problems with sticky keys in Fedora, I encounter, it is frustrating key-release logic working on Windows to behave differently/buggily on Linux) first.

> I wouldn't mind a file search that works better than Windows (though I haven't tried it with new SS drive. Guess I learned to get along without Windows Search long ago.)

Oh, here I have big plans, to offer functionality in its own class, unseen.
"He learns not to learn and reverts to what the masses pass by."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser - by Sanmayce - 11-28-2022, 09:55 PM