Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser
(12-15-2022, 05:15 AM)Sanmayce Wrote: As a matter of fact, the Fedora 36 file explorer, Caja, turns out to be unusable when dealing with few million files, just getting the properties of such folder takes 20+ minutes?! Unacceptable, therefore it is a good idea, one to rely on one's own tools.

Sadly there are no better alternatives for any OS. File Explorer on Windows has always been notorious for its performance with thousands of files in a single directory. Just trying to get it to display "C:\Windows" was a headache, like on any Linux getting a file manager to show everything in "/bin" or in "/usr/bin". Then Windows10 with its baggage such as "Libraries", OneDrive just ugh. Asking for an open file requester, with the left-hand-side pane with folders and favorites and "Libraries", on my computer looked like an old man reeling with pain being asked to go to work. Maybe another user of this forum could tell us something about it, how is it like for him/her to look for a file or to open a document somewhere.

The petty scrollbars that seem to be in every "major" application on Linux... I blame GNOME for it, or might be M$'s or ApCo's fault. Whose idea was it to "hide" the vertical scrollbar and force the user to hover the mouse cursor over an edge of the window? I want a beefy scrollbar! Not with what looks shoddy, two arrow buttons right next to each other at the bottom. What is worse than that to me? Single-click to activate stuff if it's not an address link inside a web browser.

The FPS thing might have a bit to do with the recent struggles revolving around NVIDIA, around Intel MESA supported on AMD equipment, and so on, I'm rather ignorant about all of it. For games it has to be faster, faster, faster!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser - by mnrvovrfc - 12-15-2022, 11:34 AM