Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser
I am very impressed by this program! I was thinking of doing something similar for handling archives and nested subdirectories. I'll have to look at how this works. I am very impressed at how fast the listing process is or directory scan. You've really done something special.

In case no one else has said so, thank you for having created this, and for making it publicly available.

If I may offer a few suggestions, one about the program:
  1.  Have F1 open a pop-up window showing what keys do what things, i.e. a cheat sheet. If F1 is in use, pick a different button and have the program say which one it is. 
    Now, I'd like to offer some workflow suggestions. If you're already doing/using these things, please excuse me.
  2. If you aren't already using source control, obtain a copy of GIT / GIT for Windows (if using it) or both.
  3. Use git to create an empty local repository; you can rename your current work directory, then give the repository that name, or do the opposite, rename after copying
  4. Copy your files to this repository
  5.  'GIT add' all files in this repository
  6. From now on, after every change where the program isn't broken, do a 'GIT commit'.
  7. Get an account on Github, create a repository for this project, then copy it over. This can be done at no charge. Repositories may be private. Do frequent 'GIT push' of commits in order to have an external copy of your work.

The reason for doing all this is Git saves every change once committed, and if you make a mistake, you can roll back changes to any earlier "known good version." I couldn't even guess how many times it has saved my bacon. Having a copy of your work on Github protects you if something goes wrong.
    Since I didn't see any .git files in the zip file or the work directory once extracted, I thought you might not be using it. Source control makes work easier and less stressful.
  8. (If using Windows) Get a copy of Winmerge. It allows you to scan two directories against each other and scan files in those directories and show differences. It can also be used to make changes. The first time you try to figure out what you've just changed against another file, you'll appreciate this tool.

If I think of other suggestions, I'll offer them, if you don't mind.
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser - by TDarcos - 01-22-2023, 04:52 AM