Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I for the life of me can not remember the program name.
Hello, Following on from the subject line....

I while back, in some other forum likely.  I saw and used a program (dumb me never saved it).  That would allow revision changes to take the original program and files.  And update it to a new release.  This would serve two purposes.  The program changes need only be downloaded (much smaller), and the updated program is verified/changed as needed.  By doing it this way, I don't have to migrate or integrate my stuff to a new release.

The real take away is.  The change file is much smaller, faster download and less space of hard drive (like that a real problem still. Sorry I am old school ie: $100 for 5MB mfm drive).

Thanks.
all I can think of at the moment is winmerge https://winmerge.org/
(11-25-2022, 01:51 PM)Jack Wrote: all I can think of at the moment is winmerge https://winmerge.org/
Yea, I got that.  Works great against "Text" files.  Does nothing but note differences in program code.

But http://www.aptedit.com appdiff does a much better job, follow up with Hexplorer. http://hexplorer.sourceforge.net.
(11-25-2022, 01:36 PM)doppler Wrote: Hello, Following on from the subject line....

I while back, in some other forum likely.  I saw and used a program (dumb me never saved it).  That would allow revision changes to take the original program and files.  And update it to a new release.  This would serve two purposes.  The program changes need only be downloaded (much smaller), and the updated program is verified/changed as needed.  By doing it this way, I don't have to migrate or integrate my stuff to a new release.

The real take away is.  The change file is much smaller, faster download and less space of hard drive (like that a real problem still. Sorry I am old school ie: $100 for 5MB mfm drive).

Thanks.

Binary diff (daemonology.net)
mendsley/bsdiff: bsdiff and bspatch are libraries for building and applying patches to binary files. (github.com)

Edit:
There is also xdelta
jmacd/xdelta: open-source binary diff, delta/differential compression tools, VCDIFF/RFC 3284 delta compression (github.com)
(11-25-2022, 08:36 PM)a740g Wrote:
(11-25-2022, 01:36 PM)doppler Wrote: Hello, Following on from the subject line....

Thanks.

Binary diff (daemonology.net)
mendsley/bsdiff: bsdiff and bspatch are libraries for building and applying patches to binary files. (github.com)

Edit:
There is also xdelta
jmacd/xdelta: open-source binary diff, delta/differential compression tools, VCDIFF/RFC 3284 delta compression (github.com)

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner.  I sorta knew the program might start with an X  re:xdelta.  But my memory came up with NADA!

I am also advocating the minor releases provide an xdelta mod file, from the most current release to next.  So when 3.4.1 rolls into 3.4.2, xdelta should be an option.  The benefit from doing it that way.  A previous forum posting more that likely was an overlay of 32 <> 64 bit code.  Resulting in failure to compile.  Because xdelta does not modify other than code or the specified files.  A copy/move is not needed for your source files.  It's an inline change.

Just occurred to me: There is no way to specify best answer in the new forum. That was the best answer.
PS. I will look at the other delta code changers, I like options.
OK, after some time going over the solutions.  There is no solution.  I did find the program I forgot about.  The problem being it's for patching a single file.

Here is the real problem.  Any release of QB64 involves 1000's of Full release files.  Actually unless something major happens, only a dozen or 100 files change from the previous release.  Some get removed/changed/added.  There must be a way to use some of the "free" code release programs.  I am all for a smaller quicker program update way.  If it's easier to update end users are more inclined to do so.

Programming is now a hobby for me, but once I did it for work.  I kept current, so I know there are professional tools to control code releases.  Somewhere a free version of these tools could be used by the QB64 development community.  How hard could it be to compare release-A to new release-B.  Come up with a release modification file C ?

Anybody knows of or use's something like this ?

Why bother?  I am all for getting more users on board the QB64 train.
hello doppler
if what you are after is to keep QB64pe up to date then (assuming that you OS is Windows) install git https://gitforwindows.org/
launch the windows cmd and CD to where you want to have your local repo, then
afterwards, to update your local repo, launch cmd and CD into your local repo and then
git pull
that will update you local repo downloading only what has changed
(12-01-2022, 02:54 PM)Jack Wrote: hello doppler
if what you are after is to keep QB64pe up to date then (assuming that you OS is Windows) install git https://gitforwindows.org/
afterwards, to update your local repo, launch cmd and CD into your local repo and then
git pull

I used GIT form time to time.  Unfortunately GIT is not Generally friendly.  Many companies pay for GIT accounts(private) to coordinate programming for there programmers. As such GIT is geared to programmers and coders.  Maybe (imho) 2% of the general public can use GIT properly.  The other 98% would go through hell to SYNC n compile the GIT folders to make current sources.  Or I should say the QB64 source programmers and forum members would go through hell for every release.  Syncing differences from current to new release, should be fool proof.  Until you meet the right fool.
(12-02-2022, 01:44 AM)doppler Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 02:54 PM)Jack Wrote: hello doppler
git pull

I used GIT form time to time.  Unfortunately GIT is not Generally friendly.  Many companies pay for GIT accounts(private) to coordinate programming for there programmers. As such GIT is geared to programmers and coders.  Maybe (imho) 2% of the general public can use GIT properly.  The other 98% would go through hell to SYNC n compile the GIT folders to make current sources.  Or I should say the QB64 source programmers and forum members would go through hell for every release.  Syncing differences from current to new release, should be fool proof.  Until you meet the right fool.

GitHub Desktop | Simple collaboration from your desktop <-- Github helps one helluva lot with that.  It's a GUI for working with GIT, and it really makes things as simple (in most cases) as clicking a button to PUSH changes into a repo, or clicking the button beside it to PULL changes from that repo.