Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 is a green programming language
Is QB64 a green programming language?

Yes, it is.

It is based on C++ and you will see at the link below, that QB64 is therefore a green programming language:

https://medium.com/codex/what-are-the-gr...38774b1957

(But no BASIC dialect is listet there!)
I don't get your analogy.

I resent Lua's place, but it must be the bunch of "extensions" force-feeding the OOP bit. If they had settled strictly with what was offered on "lua-dot-org" it would have been greener for sure. I think it was poisoned also by Terra, by certain "code generators" able to produce code that it could run, and its close relation to C and the consequences of it.

I also think Pascal is actually less green considering the great mess I found 64-bit Free Pascal to be, if I were more interested in porting old Turbo Pascal code than in programming an app with Qt for GNOME which also had to work best on Windows11 and MacOS v12 or some evil scheme.

LISP is doing very well for a 60-year-old language LOL. I want to learn Racket so bad. (put "crying" emotion with green face here)

LOL C++ being green, those people voted on it haven't tried to download any portion of Visual Studio 2022. For me it was at least 13GB with a few modules installed, much of it having to do with that next-to-least-green thing on "energy" and "time" lists, and making sure I could compose in Visual Basic.

Somebody who doesn't know BASIC since the QuickBASIC/QBasic days has to spend a lot of energy learning concepts and especially having to get around the keywords and the quirks about syntax (such as being able to use "ASC()" on left-hand-side while QB didn't support it). But try to learn Dark Basic, Purebasic, True Basic or something like that instead...
with Steve at the tractor seat how can it be anything but
Lack of LPrint helps let the favorite WP get the blame! ;-))
b = b + ...
Of course we're green! 

...Well...  

We're green if someone chooses "Camouflage" or "Light Green" as their color scheme!
Green my ASCII. Damn avocado toast!

Well, sorry, I'm a bit cranky today. I wrenched my arm pulling the starter cord on my gas powered laptop again.

Pete
QB64 would be green. Programs don't have to link to remote databases and libraries to function so the energy use would be lower just on that alone. Factor in how much data has to be shuffled to do simple operations and it comes out decently there as well compared to OOP processing hogs.

It's baffling that no versions of Basic made it into the ratings but Pascal and Ada did.
I don't go for all that green nonsense but cool
Tread on those who tread on you

I might add that programmers could reach a new level of disgustingness with Python. Such as the famous "archinstall" script that doesn't make Arch Linux any easier to install than it actually is. It repeatedly force-quit with "stack traceback" on my system, whether I wanted to put it into a partition of my HDD or on a pluggable disk. That script seems to expect successful installation only for someone who had enough of MacOS or Windows and cleared the entire internal HDD or SSD. Nothing green about that LOL, and Arch isn't for the "casual" and "innocent".

Sadly Python is in many other places in Linux world such as the installers called Anaconda (by the RHEL/Fedora family) and Calamares (written by KDE). Anaconda could work very slowly and it could present information in confusing fashion but it does the job. The program that installs Ubuntu is similar to Calamares or might be an earlier version. Generally my experience with Calamares was positive but it depends on the distro. EndeavourOS carries the best one, scrolls a lot of information about the installation process; switch to it LOL after enough times seeing the boring "wallpapers" of astronauts and galaxies. On another distro Calamares crashed at the very end with a "stack traceback". However it never led to something I couldn't boot into.

While I was stuck with 32-bit Ubuntu Studio I had to deal with a video-creation program called Openshot Video Editor which did almost all its functions with Python, so that it was very slow. I don't think this has really changed on 64-bit systems, and from v2 to v3 of the bloatware interpreter but I haven't been paying close attention to alternatives like KDEnlive.
and what i am sayin' all the time

python is not for Windows ...it is for Linux
Big Grin