Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost keywords displayed by v1.1 changelog
Question 
I'm reacting to visionmercer posting the changelogs of v1.1 and v1.2. I was unable to find the following keywords in the Wiki:

- _SCALEDWIDTH
- _SCALEDHEIGHT
- _MOUSEPIPEOPEN
- _MOUSEINPUTPIPE
- _MOUSEPIPECLOSE

Do they exist or they never did? That list of keywords "new" for v1.1 must have been rambling but I created this thread to help clear any doubts.
They're still in there, but apparently they never were fully implemented.

[Image: image.png]

ScaledWidth and ScaledHeight just report a constant value of 640 and 400...  They certainly aren't reporting any sort of scaling which is going on in your program!

As for the piped mouse input stuff, that was the last bit of code Galleon added into the repo before he stepped down and decided to focus more on his job and family.  I don't think *anyone* knows what the heck they were supposed to do, or how to use them, or even WHY you'd want to use them.  From what my memory tells me, they were all tied in with the virtual keyboard and were something Galleon was working on to prepare for future Android support.
The ScaledWidth and ScaledHeight currently aren't working because we're letting the OS automatically scale the screen for us.  There needs to be a toggle between manual and automatic scaling, and the scaledheight and width would then be relevant to tell you what size your actual screen was, and how large it was on the screen after scaling took place.

Currently, they're just placeholders for future useful functionality, that someone forgot to finish implementing fully.  Wink
The _MOUSEPIPExxx stuff is deprecated, was used in conjunction with $VIRTUALKEYBOARD which got deprecated when the "experimental" Android support was removed again.
Interesting. I don't remember any of those leywords before. I always wondered if there were any secret keywords lurking around.   A little off topic but, was FREE to be a special keyword at one time?  I noticed that the IDE will color 'free' like a keyword, but it can be assigned a normal variable or SUB name.

Quote:free = 1
free2 = 2
free3 = 3

PRINT free, free2, free3

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
(12-06-2022, 02:16 PM)Dav Wrote: Interesting. I don't remember any of those leywords before. I always wondered if there were any secret keywords lurking around.   A little off topic but, was FREE to be a special keyword at one time?  I noticed that the IDE will color 'free' like a keyword, but it can be assigned a normal variable or SUB name.

Quote:free = 1
free2 = 2
free3 = 3

PRINT free, free2, free3

- Dav

I imagine that's just a typo in the syntax highlighter code.  QB45 had a FRE command, which is what I suspect is supposed to be colored and unavailable to use as a keyword.  QUICKBASIC 4.5 Help file (xs4all.nl)
One lost mystery solved -- _SCALEDWIDTH and _SCALEDHEIGHT are currently for use with $RESIZE, and they tell you the size of your resized window.

Code: (Select All)
Screen _NewImage(640, 480, 32)
$Resize:Smooth

Do
    Cls
    Print "Hello World"
    Print _Width, _ScaledWidth
    Print _Height, _ScaledHeight
    _Limit 30
    _Display
Loop Until _KeyHit

Run the above and drag the edges of your screen to resize it.  It'll faithfully tell you what your current screen size is for your program.

I guess you could use this information to compare against _DESKTOPWIDTH and _DESKTOPHEIGHT, to make certain that your program doesn't scale beyond the limits of the user's screen, but I'm not thinking of a whole lot of other uses for it besides that off the top of my head.  

But for what it's worth, that's what those two commands do -- they give us the scaled width and height of our resized windows.  Smile
Thumbs Up 
Steve, I think you shouldn't have made that post. You should have saved one of them for "Keyword of the Day" LOL.

It might not matter, this topic could be deleted like many others on this sub-forum.