Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navigating QB64Phoenix
Hi Steve . I know you must still have a lot on your plate getting this site organized, so there is no hurry in responding to this post.
I have been checking things out and have a few questions on how things work and how you may envision how members should navigate around the site.

The Home page is the Portal page correct. There is no other page that you would recommend a LOGIN member to use, v's an UNlogin or visitor?

On the Portal page, there are 4 main screen to jump to - General Discussion, Site Suggestions, Programs, Work in Progress. Is that correct, or will/does the Portal page have many more places to jump directly to?

I absolutely love the personal welcome column. Its there whether I login in or not. My question here is in the SEARCH. What can I search here? Is it the entire site including the wiki or the entire site excluding the wiki? Any chance the search could include the web? Like search "How many feet in a mile?".  

Not sure I understand what "Thread Subscription" is all about. Is it a connection to a particular topic in general discussions, just my topic in general discussions, just follow all the postings of a particular member or all of the above??

Is there a way of holding a Post which is in the process of being composed, jumping out to say General Discussions, then jump back to complete the Post in progress without Saving a Draft??

Thanks Steve
To be honest, for most of these questions, all I can answer is, "I dunno."  It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm relatively new at forum hosting.  I have an old forum up over at proboards, but it's one of those small, free to use, things that you just set up and then forget about it, with something inane like a 20GB total limit for board uploads/images and all.

Since nobody was really expecting the forums and all to implode as quickly as they did, there was no infrastructure in place to pick up the load and keep things moving on.  What we have here is, more or less, the basic forum package, straight from the box.  There's been very little customization done to things, and there's almost zero extensions, themes, or templates altered or added to the site.  (Yet, that is!  I do hope to customize us to make things a little more pretty and coding friendly, as soon as I can sort out how and what to add to do so!)

So, for now, I'm just learning as I go along.  I'm not familiar with this software.  Never maintained or set up a large forum before.  The one I have worked with is phpbb, while this one is MYBB -- a completely different set up and system.

So, I just don't know.  LOL!

All I can honestly say, right now, is we'll all just have to learn how things work (and don't work), as we go along, and from trial and error, along with massive amounts of goggling from the web!  Wink
What many folks don't know about is Steve is he is also big into sewing. A "Thread Subscription" gets you a monthly supply of Steve's home spun thread and yarns. (See Steve, I warned you to be careful what you wished for!)

Hi Dimster! The Wiki appears to be outsoursed to another member's site. You'd have to be on the Wiki to search the Wiki, which was the same as QB64.rip.

I'm glad you didn't ask Steve about how banning works. His reply would probably. Hmm, let's try Pete, and see!

Pete

Edit: Update, about an hour after I posted this, Steve put up the Wiki for this site. Now we have it, plus a mirror. I need to get a new pair of running shoes, to keep up.
(04-17-2022, 03:37 PM)Pete Wrote: let's try Pete, and see!

Pete

Great idea!!  Now, where can I find that dang option at!
Hmm... I have certainly well timed my membership... This ship is fresh out of dry dock... No maiden voyage... Less than a skeleton crew... No sea worthy certificate... No pilot to steer the ship out of the harbour... All fuelled and ready to go but the engineering crew were left on the dock... Lifeboats... I could have sworn there were lifeboats... The galley is empty... Bridge crew are sun-baking on the upper deck... The Captain is trying his best to keep us afloat...

Sounds like fun! Full steam ahead!!
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
@johnno56 "Sounds like fun! Full steam ahead!!"

More like, row, row, row, but at least on this vessel, everyone has both ores in the water. Oh, and more good news, the onboard shipment of refreshments just arrived! Sorry, No Royal Clown Cola, Pepsi!

Pete
Thanks, Pete... and I 'did' pick up on the refreshments 'dig'... Naughty, naughty... lol
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(04-18-2022, 08:26 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Thanks, Pete... and I 'did' pick up on the refreshments 'dig'... Naughty, naughty... lol

Well, I hope I'm not going off half-cocked (see avatar). I wasn't on Discord, but the impression I got when Steve mentioned some of the goings on left me with this: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/a...ml#p213975

That was my first impression, then I connect with Fill, who "inform"ed me he would no longer be associated with the project. Sad

So I really I don't have much to go on, just an initial impression and my gut feelings.

I really don't condone the fact this is the second time a perfectly good content rich QB64 site has gone down without so much as a warning. Frustration due to unmeetable expectations by owners? Maybe. QB64 is an excellent hobby language, probably the best one ever created, but that's as far as I see it going, unless someone like Elon Musk picks it up, but certainly not RCwhatever, CEO of some lemonade stand in cyberspace.

So if QB64.rip does not re-emerge, we lose all that contributor work and content yet again. If it does come back, what do you folks think it will come back as?
(04-18-2022, 09:00 PM)Pete Wrote: If it does come back, what do you folks think it will come back as?

Pay to play at its finest. I imagine RC will rebrand the whole thing and try to market it for $$$$. Honestly, it seemed like he was only interested in whatever profit he could squeeze out of the project. Already he was talking about "Adding additional tiers for the patreon". Qb64 was bringing in over $600 a year in donations. The website and all cost less than $100. And yet, somehow, somewhere, he thought he as going to be able to earn enough to pay a dedicated programmer $70,000 a year to be a dedicated worker on the project!