Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAY 042: _BLINK
Brought to you by The Keyword of the Day Update Team!

And now, our Keyword of the Day Update reporter, Roseanne Roseannadanna.

Good evening coders. Did you ever ask yourself, "Hey, wait one darn minute. What do I need with a bunch of stupid blinking text letters, when what I really need is nice little cutesie tootsie high intensity background to put my regular non-stupid non-flashing text letters on." Well now I, your Keyword of the Day Update reporter, Roseanne Roseannadanna, have just the news you want to hear!

SYNTAX: _BLINK {ON|OFF}

Usage: Disable or re-enable SCREEN 0 text blinking and provide high intensity background colors when disabled.

Demo
Code: (Select All)
COLOR 16, 7: CLS
LOCATE 2, 2: PRINT "This is black blinking text over a light grey bckground. Press a key..."
SLEEP
_BLINK OFF ' This changes our background colors to high intensity colors.
LOCATE 4, 2: PRINT "Now the same text is printed in black over bright white, "
PRINT " because blinking was disabled. Press a key..."
SLEEP
COLOR 0, 7
LOCATE 7, 2: PRINT "This is the lower color register for black."
LOCATE 8, 2: PRINT "See how the background is no longer high-intensity? Press a key..."
SLEEP
COLOR 16, 7
LOCATE 10, 2: PRINT "Now let's see the high-intensity backgrounds we get with blinking disabled."
PRINT " Press a key each time to see a new background color..."
j = 0
DO
    COLOR 16, j
    LOCATE 13, 2: PRINT "Color 16,"; j;
    j = j + 1
    SLEEP
    LOCATE 13, 2: PRINT SPACE$(12);
    IF j = 15 THEN j = 0
LOOP

Now Jane, you may be asking yourself, "Hey Roseanne, how do I check to see if I have blinking on or off? Well I tell you Jane, you just use the _BLINK function...

Code: (Select All)
IF _BLINK THEN
    PRINT "I'm blinking"
ELSE
    PRINT "I'm not blinking"
END IF

So there you have it. Now you can go to bed, get up tomorrow, and tell all your little friends your Keyword of the Day Update Reporter, Roseanne Roseannadanna, has a message for them: _BLINK OFF

And now, back to you, Jane...

Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.