Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so, there's no more manual built in?
I am assuming, there's no more of that "auto manual" popping up in the IDE?

(I liked that)

looking like workaround, is....
download giant PDF file
do command checks by hand, like old days with manual?

or... is there a workaround to "hook things back up"
There are help pages still in the IDE. Press F1 on a keyword.
Tread on those who tread on you

i'll try that... I remember it being kinda automatic...
RNBW converted the wiki help into a nice chm file https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...t=chm+help
here's the link to the files https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz30211zug7dxr...i.zip?dl=0
The Help menu item is all the way to the right corner of the IDE. I didn't see it at first either. It can even update itself.

It is loaded with all the stuff in the Wiki: descriptions, examples and hyperlinks to other keywords, both Alphabetical and by content. Like the formatting and syntax checking, it is a major asset of QB64!
b = b + ...
(12-28-2022, 06:01 PM)MrCreemy Wrote: I am assuming, there's no more of that "auto manual" popping up in the IDE?

On the forums I have encountered over the years, whether Windows or Linux, the answer to "standard questions" has been: Read the fucking manual!

That was not very polite. But in 95% of all related questions this answer was correct. So what is there to say against a manual?
(12-28-2022, 06:27 PM)Jack Wrote: RNBW converted the wiki help into a nice chm file https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...helphere's the link to the files https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz30211zug7dxr...i.zip?dl=0
‐----‐---------------I've never liked the help system on the IDE. It has never been to my taste. I find it clumsy and difficult to read. That is why I produced a CHM and PDF version of the Wiki. In my opinion, it is clearer and easier to use than the IDE's help file. All that it needs is to be included in the IDE's menu system and it will be immediately available. I am working through corrections on the GL section (my own fault) and it will be complete and up to date. I will then issue CHM, PDF and HTML versions. 
(12-28-2022, 06:01 PM)MrCreemy Wrote: I am assuming, there's no more of that "auto manual" popping up in the IDE?

(I liked that)

looking like workaround, is....
download giant PDF file
do command checks by hand, like old days with manual?

or... is there a workaround to "hook things back up"

You mean something like IntelliSense that Visual Basic had (and I'm assuming modern visual languages still have)?

I don't ever remember the QB64 IDE having this? I was never a fan of IntelliSense as it seemed to always get in the way. As Spriggsy pointed out you can place your cursor on a keyword and press F1 for help with command syntax.
Ahhhh... don't get me started about auto-completion. Memory-greedy mess in Libreoffice made me hate that whole suite, besides it crashing while changing many things about the configuration... and the directories better exist IJS.

Why does anybody want auto-completion in a nostalgic IDE? I guess because now we have open and save file dialogs that look like those on "ordinary" Windows applications!

The IDE is already slow on Linux. Try pressing and holding an arrow key for about two seconds. With an emulation of IntelliSense I think this one problem could be fixed, though. Bark back with help, not with a syntax error on a line the user hasn't finished typing yet.

The Purebasic IDE had something which displayed the procedure/function "prototype" for one that was just typed on the screen. On the status bar, for example, it showed something like "LOCATE row, column, cursor-on-off, start-cursor, end-cursor | Sets the status of the cursor in text console" after "LOCATE" was typed in the editing window. This is being described for a QB64 command, not actually supported by that language product which looks more like Pascal than BASIC. This status bar help was most helpful for Win API statements.