Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the help.
In these early days of a new year, I’d like to say thanks to those who’ve helped me and many others with coding problems.

People like Steve, and Bplus, and others, with much greater knowledge and skills  than I have, give freely of their time to help other “QBphiles” overcome problems. Their help is given with great patience, and with respect for the sometimes “bumpy” code we write, recognizing that although we may peel an egg with a surgical laser, a sharp blow with the back of a spoon can sometimes be sufficient.

Other coders sometimes recognize a problem as being similar to one they have had and solved, and provide helpful advice based on this.
This spirit of co-operation and generosity makes me confident that QB64PE will survive and thrive for a long time to come.

Wishing you all a happy, prosperous and productive new year. 
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
You be welcome, and I, for one, am happy to help anytime I can.  Smile

And don't think you guys don't help me in return either!  Sometimes, I learn more in an evening from someone's mistake, than I ever could've learned in 100 years writing my own code.  I start down that rabbit hole -- "Why doesn't this work??"... And it seems like it should... So then I start to google or bing or duckduckchicken at a voodoo alter, looking for answers...  Someone, somewhere, back in 1902, prophesied about this mysterious error, and so I go down that rabbit hole for 6 hours, expanding my knowledge of the universe.  Nothing seems to click though, and solve the problem as it's presented...  I read the source.  Look at the translated code.  Run diagnostics.  Check the c-output.  Dig through a c manual...  Man, this is one impossible error that one of you guys have managed to generate!!  I'm loving it!

... And then somebody will post on the forums, "The problem is in Sub foo -- you have a comma outside the quotes on your PRINT statement there, and it's adding the space to your formatting."

And my brain melts...  "Waahhh??!!"

And it's actually quite a cathartic rollercoaster ride, once its all over and done with, and I now have learned, "Not all commas are supposed to exist at the end of print statements.  Watch for that.  Some might be typos..."

Steve <-- the guy who can program the most complex stuff flawlessly and with his eyes closed, but who can't ever find a missing comma, misspelt word, or 1 + 1 = 3 glitch, to save his life.  Don't believe it?  Watch my mem tutorial where I write up a nice complex 2 or 3d block of memory, convert it into a 1d representation, and then can't count to 10 with my array index.   /sigh
Well written Phil - I agree.

As for Steve's comments, I'll keep to my illusions of him. You just don't spit on Superman's cape. Steve can do no wrong. Thanks for the help Steve and Team QB64pe. You all have capes.
I am honored to be named in same sentence as Steve. I do hope to help share the joy of using QB64. all the frustrations just make the successes the sweeter.

Thank you @PhilOfPerth
b = b + ...
Well said, Phil from Perth. I echo your sentiment and the well wishes to all in this wonderful forum.

By the way, I don't believe that I saw mention of how much better version 3.4.1 is, in terms of opening new files from the IDE? Did I miss the gushing about how nice it is now, taking you to the Windows File Explorer, instead of doing this the old-fashioned DOS way?

Useful improvement, thanks guys.
(01-05-2023, 05:14 AM)bert22306 Wrote: By the way, I don't believe that I saw mention of how much better version 3.4.1 is, in terms of opening new files from the IDE? Did I miss the gushing about how nice it is now, taking you to the Windows File Explorer, instead of doing this the old-fashioned DOS way?

Useful improvement, thanks guys.

Can't say so since this new opening stuff doesn't work on my iMac under macOS. Cry

Hope to see that fixed. Smile

Cheers.
Fifi
Before to send the arrow of truth, dip the head in a honey pot (Cheyenne saying).
Don't tell my Mom I'm on iMac with macOS, she thinks I work on PC with Windows. Tongue