Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64-PE Patreon and Donations
As you guys probably know by now, we just released a new version of QB64-PE -- version 3.5!  One thing that's happened after this release, is that several people have sent me messages asking how they can donate or help support the project.  I try and tell folks that isn't necessary -- our costs are minimal, with none of us accepting even a penny for our work and efforts on improving and upkeeping the language.  The only thing we pay for is the server space here which keeps these forums and our wiki up and going, and I've been completely transparent with screenshots of what those cost us.  (About $100 for the first year, and perhaps $300 a year moving forward.)  Those costs are definitely not so large that we can't just pay them ourselves, for, like you, we love this project and the language itself. 

But, I got fussed at today by someone who **really** wanted to show their support.  "The rest of us love the language just as much as you guys!  It's not fair that you get to support it, and the rest of us can't..."

So, I finally broke down and created a Patreon for us:  https://patreon.com/user?u=86544769

If someone really feels that passionate about supporting us, and doesn't think they have the coding skills to help with the project, now they can drop a few dollars into the Patreon bucket and keep the lights on for us.  Nobody should ever feel pressured to donate -- as I mentioned above, our overall costs is rather low and quite manageable, so only do so if you have disposable income burning a hole in your pocket and you absolutely feel like you want to give it to us. 

Patreons get no added bonus.  No extra weight in any decisions we make.  No exclusive content.  All we do and work on, we already offer FREE to anyone who wants it.  The most our Patreons can expect is for us to continue on as we've always continued on.  Maybe... if you ask *really*  *really* hard, and you donate *lots* and *lots* of money, I *might* send you a picture of me sitting back in my lounge chair, eating Cheetos in my undies, and pretending to program while being completely distracted by Discord, the forums, my doggy, and the tv in the background...

Anywho, it's there now for those who absolutely want it.   Rest assured, any money donated will only ever go to keeping the lights on around here.  We don't do what we do for any sort of monetary gain.  We just do it 'cause we love it!  Big Grin
And, once again, here's the only cost that we have for keeping the lights on around here and the hamster happily fed in his wheel, for us.

(01-09-2023, 11:53 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Maybe... if you ask *really*  *really* hard, and you donate *lots* and *lots* of money, I *might* send you a picture of me sitting back in my lounge chair, eating Cheetos in my undies, and pretending to program while being completely distracted by Discord, the forums, my doggy, and the tv in the background...

LOL, Pete is going to have a field day with this!
"Domain Privacy Protection" should have been thrown in for free. I don't like petty greed like this.

"I have the brains, you have the looks, let's make lots of money!" -- Pet Shop Boys song.

Lots of money so we could give it to Steve(TM) and then he could send one of his ultra-exclusive pics of a developer at work!
Steve is there a way to donate one lump sum per year? As at Christmas I want to send the team the price of a bottle of wine is there a way to do that?
(01-10-2023, 03:16 PM)Dimster Wrote: Steve is there a way to donate one lump sum per year? As at Christmas I want to send the team the price of a bottle of wine is there a way to do that?

You could probably ask for Steve's PayPal and then just send him money
Tread on those who tread on you

(01-10-2023, 03:16 PM)Dimster Wrote: Steve is there a way to donate one lump sum per year? As at Christmas I want to send the team the price of a bottle of wine is there a way to do that?

As Spriggsy suggests, you can send me a message and I'll share my PayPal with you, or you can just use the patreon and sign up for the tier 3 donation, give $10, and then quit the patreon, for a one-time donation.  And $10 is more than enough for us, for a bottle of wine.  We're used to the cheap stuff you buy from the local grocery store; not those fancy bottles of bubbling champaign that the uber rich celebrities like to take baths in and such.  Wink
Finally!!!  YAY!!!  I can finally donate to the cause - thank you!!!
But, now let me gripe...ugh!
Will you enable the 'one time donation' option rather than the monthly?  I would like to make a bulk donation, but do not want to be tied to the monthly option.

Yeah, yeah...I'm being a little b*tch!  I already know...
(03-14-2023, 12:37 AM)dano Wrote: Finally!!!  YAY!!!  I can finally donate to the cause - thank you!!!
Will you enable the 'one time donation' option rather than the monthly?  I would like to make a bulk donation, but do not want to be tied to the monthly option.

One time donations can be made to my Paypal account: https://paypal.me/smcneill1973

It may show up as "Darkbring Publishing", but that's just my pen name which I use for selling, publishing, and distributing the books which I write.  I started ages ago as a serialized web novelist, and paypal was the means which I used to let my readers donate if they liked my works, and it's worked flawlessly for me ever since.  Rather than trying to set up a different account and having to track multiple tax sources and all that, I'd prefer if anyone interested in making a one time donation do so via it -- I promise that any and all donations sent for QB64PE will *ONLY* be used to help pay for our QB64 servers and hosting costs.  Smile

So far, this year, we've had a 1 time donation of $100.00, and we currently have one patreon donating $3.00 a month.  Our server renewal costs will be upcoming in the next month or so, and I'll post them here for full transparency for everyone to see.  With the way inflation has hit everything, I don't have a clue what they're going to be this year, but last year our costs were only around $200 or so, in total.  (I'm thinking we'll lose our "new customer" discount this year and that price will probably come in around $300.00 total, but we'll have to wait for the actual bill to see for certain.)
(03-15-2023, 08:59 PM)SMcNeill Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:37 AM)dano Wrote: Finally!!!  YAY!!!  I can finally donate to the cause - thank you!!!

One time donations can be made to my Paypal account: https://paypal.me/smcneill1973

It may show up as "Darkbring Publishing", but that's just my pen name which I use for selling, publishing, and distributing the books which I write.  I started ages ago as a serialized web novelist, and paypal was the means which I used to let my readers donate if they liked my works, and it's worked flawlessly for me ever since.  Rather than trying to set up a different account and having to track multiple tax sources and all that, I'd prefer if anyone interested in making a one time donation do so via it -- I promise that any and all donations sent for QB64PE will *ONLY* be used to help pay for our QB64 servers and hosting costs.  Smile

So far, this year, we've had a 1 time donation of $100.00, and we currently have one patreon donating $3.00 a month.  Our server renewal costs will be upcoming in the next month or so, and I'll post them here for full transparency for everyone to see.  With the way inflation has hit everything, I don't have a clue what they're going to be this year, but last year our costs were only around $200 or so, in total.  (I'm thinking we'll lose our "new customer" discount this year and that price will probably come in around $300.00 total, but we'll have to wait for the actual bill to see for certain.)

Thank you...donation done.  I have set a reminder for next year too...let's see if I remember, LOL!  Thanks to all of the hard working and dedicated people that are keeping QB64 alive.  QB64 has literally changed how I do a lot of things for the better.