Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware Images
Thank you for more information. I'm going to sit down and learn this even if it KILL()s me and then write a tutorial lesson on hardware images which will help further embed this into my brain.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
If you get stuck anywhere, just send up an SOS.  Big Grin
12 years ago (or about), I think this really took off using the Simple Development Library (SDL library).

Even before they switched to GL, there was basically an issue using it and with the licensing. So if I remember correctly, Galleon switched to using GL, rewrote it, and made a heap of improvements to it like maps and other things with it.

I still have yet to be updated on the new things with this; I'm about 12 years behind the times trying to catch up to today and where we are at with it.

I had only used and known of doing it to use the hardware method, though: to just draw and position things you want on the screen and then _DISPLAY it after you set the _DEST for it. 

I'm not sure about the 3D features and latency with it, but for 2D and scrolling maps it is lightning fast.

What's old is new again, and it looks like what's new is new, too! Shy  The more you know! Idea
(10-17-2023, 05:12 PM)JamesAlexander Wrote: 12 years ago (or about), I think this really took off using the Simple Development Library (SDL library).

Even before they switched to GL, there was basically an issue using it and with the licensing. So if I remember correctly, Galleon switched to using GL, rewrote it, and made a heap of improvements to it like maps and other things with it.

I still have yet to be updated on the new things with this; I'm about 12 years behind the times trying to catch up to today and where we are at with it.

I had only used and known of doing it to use the hardware method, though: to just draw and position things you want on the screen and then _DISPLAY it after you set the _DEST for it. 

I'm not sure about the 3D features and latency with it, but for 2D and scrolling maps it is lightning fast.

What's old is new again, and it looks like what's new is new, too! Shy  The more you know! Idea
I did end up writing that lesson on hardware images that can be found here in the tutorial: Lesson 22

Welcome back by the way Smile
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial