Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi CPU Usage even at rest
(01-21-2023, 01:34 PM)Fifi Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 09:45 PM)daivdW2 Wrote: There were no web browsers running on the VMs. Only the OS, QB64PE and the RDP Service for remote access to the VM.  The screenshots are labelled by the capture program which is called ShareX. 

ShareX is a tool on my Windows 11 laptop that I use to RDP into the VMs.

ProxMox is a Hypervisor. It runs on my mini server and is the tool used to manage the VMs. It has a Web based admin panel and this is the source of the graphs. 

I have multiple screens so I can work on the VM using RDP to load QB64PE while watching the ProxMox stats.

I hope that makes sense?

Hi davidW2
May I suggest you try VMware Workstation Player as the VM tool Vs ShareX.
It's free whatever your OS is and would eliminate the load of ProxMox and its connection to your mini server.
You can get it here:VMware Player
Just my two cents.
Cheers.
Fifi

Hi Fifi.

ShareX is just a fancy clipboard tool. 

I use Remote Desktop Connection Manager to access the VM via RDP. 

Proxmox is the Hypervisor - a bit like a VMWare Server rather than a player/virtual box.

Proxmox - Powerful open-source server solutions

I run it on a dedicated box with 32gb Ram / i7 CPU with 4 cores / 5TB storage.
Maybe we should run a poll for how many people use programming system software through virtualization technologies. Should include people that use DOSBOX to run QuickBASIC, BASIC PDS v7.1, VBDOS or QBasic, because they're not interested in what is offered by QB64(PE).

I still believe the performance hit is caused by the VM or whatever else is not necessary which is different from a Linux distro properly installed, or a computer that came with MacOS or Windows.

I wouldn't be able to do what you are able to do as you described, on neither HP laptop computer that I have, because each only has a two-core CPU and 4GB RAM. The older one is ten years old and with "Sandy Bridge" Intel CPU. I cannot do virtualization.

There is no need to use the QB64 IDE to create source code. The QB64 executable file is needed, yes, to create programs with this programming system, but if using the IDE really is a performance issue for you, then you could just use your favorite text editor to compose programs and have a terminal open to run the compiler. Or set things up with Geany or NPPP or other program like that but it could be a hassle.

Have you unticked the option of the QB64 IDE to check source code while the user is typing? This might be useless though, if the program is allowed to sit there and it takes up many CPU cycles no matter what.

No idea why the processes are taking up so much memory, but 3.2GB at minimum? This is not normal.

I'm trying to extract from the conversations so far on this topic that you tried this on a computer without a VM. Otherwise saying Linux version on Linux and not through Wine because MinGW for Windows could add overhead. Additionally on Linux it could depend on the desktop environment: GNOME or KDE usually requires more RAM than LXDE or XFCE, and using a window manager instead might be less comfortable for the user but allows even more RAM for programs and data. On KDE Plasma the "Ksysguard" program could be a big culprit, reporting higher CPU usage than actually because of what used by itself.