Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Went Kaput
My computer's water cooler died so my computer can't function right now without major heat issues and throttling. No coding for me until I get it fixed, unfortunately. Also, no video until then. I actually had plans on doing it yesterday evening and that's when it broke.
Tread on those who tread on you

(01-23-2023, 04:47 PM)Spriggsy Wrote: My computer's water cooler died so my computer can't function right now without major heat issues and throttling. No coding for me until I get it fixed, unfortunately. Also, no video until then. I actually had plans on doing it yesterday evening and that's when it broke.

Good luck with fixing your PC, and hopefully no data lost!
Nothing's lost. Just about $120 from my pocket.
Tread on those who tread on you

Take the case off it, put a large window fan beside it, facing it, and crank up the power to max.  Usually makes a good short term PC coolant.  Wink
Question 
Also OT Wink :
I don't want to start a new thread for the question: Hi Steve, are you by any chance related to a certain Dan McNeill?
(01-23-2023, 06:39 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Also OT Wink :
I don't want to start a new thread for the question: Hi Steve, are you by any chance related to a certain Dan McNeill?

Well certainly, I am.  My brother is Daniel Jeffery McNeill.  He's a drunken druggie who'd rather pop any pill he could find, than face the reality of how terrible it is to replace a burnt out light bulb, but he's still my brother.  LOL!   I doubt he's the one you're talking about though, as he's only infamous amongst the local circles.  He's did a few million pills too many to have the brainpower to know how to click on a computer anymore, much less interact with anyone via it.  

Sad

And if you're *really* curious about my family tree, I can proudly say that James Bonds is my Uncle, and that he's the one who helped teach me to drive. My mom was a Bonds before she married my dad, and she had a brother named James. Joined the Navy and everything! Of course, I doubt he's the James Bonds that most people think of when they hear the name, just like my brother DJ probably isn't the same Dan McNeill you're talking about, but they are still family connections -- which I break down and admit to having them. Wink
(01-23-2023, 04:47 PM)Spriggsy Wrote: My computer's water cooler died so my computer can't function right now without major heat issues and throttling. No coding for me until I get it fixed, unfortunately. Also, no video until then. I actually had plans on doing it yesterday evening and that's when it broke.

Computers always seem to die just before you are going to work on them. It's a curse I tell ya. My CPU and/or GPU fan is throttling pretty well lately, a sign that I need to get in there and clean out the dust. There, I did it, just cursed myself. Expect me to be offline for a few days too. Big Grin
(01-23-2023, 08:46 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

Computers always seem to die just before you are going to work on them. It's a curse I tell ya. My CPU and/or GPU fan is throttling pretty well lately, a sign that I need to get in there and clean out the dust. There, I did it, just cursed myself. Expect me to be offline for a few days too. Big Grin

Ohh... I've been there, almost 20 years back, and it forced me to choose only laptops from that point forward. I had a desktop towercase computer I thought was awesome and I vowed it would be the rest of my life in personal computing with that thing. A year went by which everything was just fine, then suddenly BSOD from WindowsXP. I wound up taking that computer to the shop five times, at 40 dollars at least a trip on taxis. No charge in the shop, however, but by the fourth time it was getting pretty embarrassing. Once I took it to the shop because the soundcard wasn't seated correctly and stupid Windows choked on that.

Only in the first visit to the shop, it was agreed that I had to become involved opening the case and cleaning out dirt from the motherboard, and never, ever using a fan in a fairly-dusty room to help cool the CPU. (It was Intel Pentium 4 full-blown at 2.0GHz, was surprised after I purchased it because the order originally said it was the slightly older 1.8GHz model.)

I did almost nothing major with this computer, only play games and used MAGIX software to create music. With QuickBASIC I had written a program that created a playlist of songs from CD's, to make sure there were no duplicates and to keep songs from the same record as far apart as possible.

I still have the 80GB hard disk of that computer housed in a Maddog case I bought at CompUSA... but these days it's coming up with read errors galore. Sad

About five years later I passed by the neighborhood of the shop and discovered they were no longer in business. Their name was something like "Computer Advantage". :/
Yes, we've al been there; it's very traumatic!
Find a cool, shady spot, take some cold lemonade (?) and a packet of minties, 
and start planning your next adventure with QB64 for after your PC gets fixed.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
haven't you only just bought that rig, is it not covered under warranty?