Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collapsible functions in IDE
(02-06-2023, 07:50 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Before long, if this project could find another maintainer, the QB64 IDE could be offered in more than one mode. I don't like many gimmicks it gained since the last SDL edition. Therefore, offer a "Spartan" or "stripped-down" level of the IDE, and also have a version like what it has become today. The lesser edition could be fixed only if it contains a serious bug or security issue long not discovered.

There are users trying to run the IDE on Windows7 with single-core CPU and limited memory. They might appreciate the ability to disable code-folding, include-file auto-display or anything that enhances the experience. Yeah sure, they are also trying to get millions of frames per second, trying to "let the music play" without starting and stopping and glitches, and are anxious to get that "in-house" download manager going...

(This forum should support a "spoiler" posting trick...)
The reaction would be interesting from the "official" version guys: what is highest priority for new functionality, the IDE or for user programs?

I can't imagine many people preferring the old SDL IDE version over what we have today. I did a ton of programming using version .954's IDE and although it was functional I would surely miss the additions today's IDE has if I were forced to go back to it.

Running Windows 7 on pre-Core2 Duo CPUs should not be done in the first place if one is setting up a system for programming. I run Windows 7 on a 6th generation i7 as my coding machine, so Windows 7 is completely doable, you just need to make sure the hardware matches your expectations.
I agree with Terry. You need to make sure your machine is capable of running the software you're downloading. If it isn't, that's not a fault of the software distributor unless they specifically claim it can work with your particular setup.
Tread on those who tread on you

Hey Terry, just as an FYI, you can run Windows 11 on your 6th gen Intel Core i7 quite nicely. It's what MS calls a "yellow" machine. It runs everything Windows 11, including more than just the bare minimum hardware security features, but is theoretically "not compatible." (What a racket.)

And QB64 works just fine over Windows 11.
As I recall Terry is paranoid about later Windows versions and with MS spying and all who can blame him?
b = b + ...
(02-06-2023, 07:50 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: (This forum should support a "spoiler" posting trick...)

Show Content
(02-06-2023, 11:04 PM)bert22306 Wrote: Hey Terry, just as an FYI, you can run Windows 11 on your 6th gen Intel Core i7 quite nicely. It's what MS calls a "yellow" machine. It runs everything Windows 11, including more than just the bare minimum hardware security features, but is theoretically "not compatible." (What a racket.)

And QB64 works just fine over Windows 11.

Oh I know, Windows 8.1 through 11 will run beautifully on my i7-6700K especially since I have 32GB of RAM in the machine too.

The reason I stopped at the 6th generation of CPU is because of the artificial barrier put in place for Windows 7 to work on 7th generation and greater CPUs.

You see, I feel that Microsoft screwed the pooch with Windows 8 and then screwed the users with Windows 10 and 11. I want an operating system that, well, operates my computer. Instead with 10 and 11 (and 8 to some extent) you get an operating system that is spying on you, constantly trying to get you to purchase things, and takes control away from the user. It's only a matter of time before Windows becomes SaaS and I'm avoiding that.

I'm perfectly capable of running Linux when the time comes that I absolutely must abandon Windows 7. For now it's working great, heck, I even get daily Security Essential updates from Microsoft, so Windows 7 is still supported to some degree. Most new hardware and peripherals still support Windows 7 as well. I'm running a Samsung 970 nvme 1TB W.2 SSD inside my computer as the boot drive. You want to see fast? Then run Windows 7 on an nvme drive. I wait for nothing when I click on something, LOL.

My boys run Windows 10 and 11. My friends run 10 and 11 too and I help maintain all their PCs for them. I simply avoid anything Windows above 7 for myself. I do have an installation of Windows 10 in a VM so I can test my software in Windows 10 when needed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-07-2023, 02:57 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Oh I know, Windows 8.1 through 11 will run beautifully on my i7-6700K especially since I have 32GB of RAM in the machine too.

The reason I stopped at the 6th generation of CPU is because of the artificial barrier put in place for Windows 7 to work on 7th generation and greater CPUs.

ROFL at the comment near the bottom of the screen in the last screenshot! But I had to facepalm more than once... wanted to put a giant emoticon borrowed from some other site about it... with "Ask about genuine M$ software", like really?

"Artificial barrier" might have been M$'s limitations knowing about today's technology, although they would never admit it. Could have been the way applications were designed and written, before Windows8 release, because the majority of them were still 32-bit. Some of them needed "bit-bridging" technology in a 64-bit-only OS. It wasn't until 2017 or maybe earlier that there were enough 64-bit options. It's only a matter of time before everything online is forced into paid subscription mode, it's already happening in the music industry. Yes all that is debatable but... I don't want any problems.

Sort of back on topic: I remember picking up at least one alternative editor for QB64 while QB64 was still related to SDL. One of them was even slower than the original IDE and had this shadow cursor which was driving me crazy. None of my attempts worked to fix it so I had to stop using it. Instead I was supposed to fix the "fruity magenta" foreground color that was dominating the screen. I think that one was by "oldoslover" or another of the heavy-hitters in the first QB64 forum.
about

Quote:with "Ask about genuine M$ software", like really?

My old TOSHIBA i3 after upgraded from w10 to w11 showed  always this message asking for a genuine version of Windows!
If I turn on it, the message is always there!
Windows looses itself!
(02-01-2023, 04:11 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: Just in case you guys didn't found it yet, here's my Notepad++ config for QB64.

@RhoSigma
I'm using your Notepad++ config and it's great! I finally figured out how to change the font size but I would like to change the background color to black instead of the muddy black it's set to now but for the life of me can't figure out how to do that.

If I go into the Style Configurator and choose Default Style I can change the background color there but it only changes the white space, not the text. How can I get both the white space and text to have a pure black background?

BTW I installed the RhoSigma Dark theme.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(02-10-2023, 07:09 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 04:11 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: Just in case you guys didn't found it yet, here's my Notepad++ config for QB64.

@RhoSigma
I'm using your Notepad++ config and it's great! I finally figured out how to change the font size but I would like to change the background color to black instead of the muddy black it's set to now but for the life of me can't figure out how to do that.

If I go into the Style Configurator and choose Default Style I can change the background color there but it only changes the white space, not the text. How can I get both the white space and text to have a pure black background?

BTW I installed the RhoSigma Dark theme.

Replied to your PM already...