Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some suggestions / requests for anyone looking to port a classic game to QB64PE
(02-08-2023, 11:58 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: The thing is that it wouldn't add to one of the games, other than being able to compile it with a different programming system. 

There are many benefits of porting a game to QB64PE or another programming system, including:
  • People who know that language can learn from the code.
  • People who know the language can modify the games.
  • Having the source code is safer than just running an EXE because you can check it and know what it is doing before you run it on your PC. 

The whole point of including an editor is that it does add to the games - now if someone wants they can create all new content. And for people who don't like editing or creating, they can ignore it. But it also enables the game designer to create new content, or more easily make a sequel.
Smile 
(02-08-2023, 12:07 PM)RokCoder Wrote: Everything always comes down to "there are lots of things I'd like to do but never enough hours in the day to do them all". I totally feel your pain on this Smile

No pain at all - we all must learn to prioritize in life! 
I'm working on a couple that I think I can do a decent job at, or even improve on. 
I figure there's no harm in putting the others out there as ideas. 
It blows my mind, but there are actually people out there who seem to have spare time to fill, and need ideas, 
so if any of these ideas gives them a project to sink their teeth into, it's win-win! LoL
(02-12-2023, 06:32 PM)madscijr Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 03:14 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: For Zork? One controls what levels are created while the others have to play... back to the cavemen of networking, tumble back to Unix... pffft!

You are making no sense at all. Have you ever played a classic Infocom game or text adventure? These are local games that run on your PC. There is no networking, and your input does not affect others. An editor simply lets someone make their own game (to play themself or share with others) without having to be a programmer.

Fair enough. Might have to ask someone else deep into Zork in particular. What happened to an user that appeared last year who said was a deep fan of it?

Creating an environment might be fun after all... for that Orb of Zot and variations I keep seeing. Rolleyes