Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exercism
I'm sure I've mentioned this before. Can't find it in a search. So, here we go again.

Exercism.org is a place where programmers can go to get better. The blurb on the front page includes "Solve coding exercises and get mentored to develop fluency in your chosen programming languages. Exercism is open-source and not-for-profit."

I've recently launched a learning track for 8th, a FORTH dialect. It took me a while but I was working mostly alone. I had a considerably larger team around me for the COBOL track.

There could be a BASIC track. It's not hard, just takes a bit of dogged persistence. The community is helpful and the admin support is outstanding. The requirements are well described.

I am NOT volunteering to lead. I'm still working on a Euphoria track, and if that doesn't kill me, I'll follow with SNOBOL4.

This is a suggestion. Get some folk inspired.

-Bruce
Thankyou for your ad, I just don't get enough of them in a day.

Does Exercism even do QB64pe? I think you would mention it if it did.
b = b + ...
(02-09-2023, 02:51 PM)bplus Wrote: Thankyou for your ad, I just don't get enough of them in a day.

Does Exercism even do QB64pe? I think you would mention it if it did.

No they don't do QB64PE or any BASIC dialect and that's a travesty. They will do it if someone here extracts the digit and works on it. I've since heard back from the manufacturer of 8th: his international exposure has been increased and he's seen a modest uptick on his bottom line. For QB64PE just getting some more folk interested would be a plus.

-Bruce
my answer is simple ..thanks but NO
(02-14-2023, 08:03 AM)bruce_axtens Wrote: No they don't do QB64PE or any BASIC dialect and that's a travesty. They will do it if someone here extracts the digit and works on it.

Likely they would choose Freebasic because it's "stuff for geeks" and has OOP like C++ and Python. Take the easy way out trying to make all programming languages the same. Or they would think any BASIC interpreter is easy to use to begin with.

I don't think I would learn much more from such a seminar with any programming language. There's an opportunity to learn Racket to be involved with Gentoo Linux but I'd have to be ten years younger and more energetic. :/

They might have thought they have enough competition already from SMcNeill when he could finish his QB64 Bible!