Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using RhoSigma's Notepad++ Config
In another discussion RhoSigma reminded us that he built a QB64 config for NotePad++:

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...epad%2B%2B

I'm working on a library that has at present well over 5000 lines of code and growing. I decided to give RhoSigma's Notepad++ config a whirl and it's great!

I broke my library up into modules (.BM files) and $INCLUDE them in the main module. I loaded each .BM extension file into separate NotePad++ tabs and use the main library code in the QB64 IDE. This is working out really well.

When I make a change in one of the NotePad++ .BM files and introduce an error, after switching back to the IDE the IDE still informs me in which .BM file the error occurred and in which line number. I jump back over to NotePad++, click the appropriate tab, scroll down to the line number and make the corrections/changes.

I highly recommend giving this a try. It has completely changed my programming flow in a very positive way. I have a two monitor setup but this could easily work on a single monitor setup as well.

I'm not using NotePad++ as a replacement for the IDE. I still love the QB64PE IDE but RhoSigma's config for NotePad++ makes an excellent IDE enhancement tool.

This config had to have taken a great deal of time and patience to develop and I would like to thank RhoSigma for doing this.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Here's a tool to try: https://www.nurgo-software.com/products/tidytabs

Add tabs to any Windows program and group them as you want.   Cost?  Freeware!

(If you think you need the full feature set, *don't* buy it.  Get Stardock Groupy instead for 1/3rd the price.)

(02-13-2023, 04:17 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: In another discussion RhoSigma reminded us that he built a QB64 config for NotePad++:

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...epad%2B%2B

I'm working on a library that has at present well over 5000 lines of code and growing. I decided to give RhoSigma's Notepad++ config a whirl and it's great!

I broke my library up into modules (.BM files) and $INCLUDE them in the main module. I loaded each .BM extension file into separate NotePad++ tabs and use the main library code in the QB64 IDE. This is working out really well.

When I make a change in one of the NotePad++ .BM files and introduce an error, after switching back to the IDE the IDE still informs me in which .BM file the error occurred and in which line number. I jump back over to NotePad++, click the appropriate tab, scroll down to the line number and make the corrections/changes.

I highly recommend giving this a try. It has completely changed my programming flow in a very positive way. I have a two monitor setup but this could easily work on a single monitor setup as well.

I'm not using NotePad++ as a replacement for the IDE. I still love the QB64PE IDE but RhoSigma's config for NotePad++ makes an excellent IDE enhancement tool.

This config had to have taken a great deal of time and patience to develop and I would like to thank RhoSigma for doing this.

Thank you for the recognition, your welcome.

It is perhaps the greatest reward for someone to see that the work they have done is as useful to others as it is to themselves. It ultimately justifies the effort put into a project.