Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TreeSheets: A fantastic little outlining tool
It is called a "Free Form Data Organizer" (or a "Hierarchical Spreadsheet.).

To me, it is a wondrous little thing that kind of boggles my mind: really well done little product that can be really useful for all sorts of things.

It is my goto for things that folk might often do with a "mindmapping" tool.

It could be really good at mapping out the structure and components of large programs.

In my screenshot, I'm using it to outline documentation I'd like to create.

And a screenshot from the TreeSheets web site:

[Image: screenshot-todo-half.png]

It is really worth trying out once by going through the included tutorial.  Pretty ingenious thing.

Thanks for this, I'm one who writes a lot on white boards and paper first to try and layout the logical order of things. As my program code gets longer and longer its' very hard to see the whole program, so I do tend to got back to the paper of white board and recreate the whole program logic in pseudocode. This TreeSheets looks like a great companion to the written program code.
This reminds me of Directory and Sub-directory system or even code blocks like nested loops and if-thens.
b = b + ...
For the giggles, I decided to do a copy and paste of source code into a new TreeSheets document.

TreeSheets as secondary source code editor?  The as-is result:

Smile That tickles my fancy.
b = b + ...
(02-23-2023, 08:11 PM)bplus Wrote: Smile That tickles my fancy.

Well, I do fancy a tickle for the giggle.

Now we only need Pete thrown into the mix.
My favourite thing, I think, is the ability to zoom in/out the content of any cell via the scroll wheel on the mouse.

The screenshot below shows the bird's eye view of the thing, so I can see the whole picture (all of the parts).

To see how much content and how many parts are in there, see https://basicanywheremachine.neocities.o...anning.png

Just another example of using TreeSheets to help analyse a large program.

Code for this example from https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...2#pid17322.

New treesheet document created, and QB64PE code copied info the one treesheet cell.  (Not shown: I forgot to first wrap the cell in a parent cell.)

Notice that indented source code automagically goes into a "child cell".

Not shown, I then wrapped what I pasted into Treesheets into a parent cell.  That so I can SHIFT-scroll wheel to increase/decrease the size of everything in the parent cell.

Here, I've shrunken everything down (SHIFT and scroll back the mouse wheel on the parent cell) all the way to have a bird's eye view of the code:

After zooming everything in just a little, I found the area of the program I'm interested in, towards the bottom of the program:

Then I zoomed in on the subroutine I was looking for,:

SHIFT and mouse scroll wheel to quickly zoom in and zoom out to any one cell and all child cells.  Very awesome stuff.