Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scramble (arcade game remake)
Having finished Galaga I decided to try converting my all time favourite arcade game, Scramble. It's gone pretty well I think!

Controls are arrow keys to move and A/Z to fire and bomb.

The ZIP file contains scramble.bas along with a subfolder called assets which contains all the sound effects, graphics, etc. After building the project, the EXE must reside in the same folder as the BAS file. It accesses the assets folder relatively so won't find it if the EXE is in the wrong place.

.zip   scramble.zip (Size: 156.55 KB / Downloads: 101)

Hope you have fun!

Kewl graphics. This is sort of like Moon Patrol, with the protagonist being able to shoot forward and down LOL.

The original game must have had that progress bar just below the score, but I consider it distracting. So the player's spaceship cannot move up beyond a certain point? I have downloaded this game but ATM of this writing I am doing something which occupies a good deal of CPU time. That's why I write this now. But good job, it helps having a hopeless obsession for 1980's arcade games!
12220 on my first attempt, woohoo! This game is absolutely spot on with the original. Scramble was one of my favorites as a kid spending my days in the local arcades. Another awesome game!
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Thumbs Up 
@RokCoder Well this is obvious feather for your cap! I will take Terry's word that it's plays like original. Congrats!

My generation came before these kind of games so we had to content ourselves with pool, ping pong, bowling, air hokey, foosball soccer, 100's of board games including chess, checkers, Monopoly, and 100's of card games bridge, poker, rummy... Sigh
b = b + ...
(02-27-2023, 03:28 AM)bplus Wrote: @RokCoder Well this is obvious feather for your cap! I will take Terry's word that it's plays like original. Congrats!

My generation came before these kind of games so we had to content ourselves with pool, ping pong, bowling, air hokey, foosball soccer, 100's of board games including chess, checkers, Monopoly, and 100's of card games bridge, poker, rummy... Sigh

Never too late to simulate a fist full of quarters in your pocket and get your 80's coin-op fix in Smile

The meteors are just as hard and nasty as the original! I'll eventually have a peek at the code, too busy Scrambling right now :p
QB64 Tutorial
(02-27-2023, 12:39 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Kewl graphics. This is sort of like Moon Patrol, with the protagonist being able to shoot forward and down LOL.

The original game must have had that progress bar just below the score, but I consider it distracting. So the player's spaceship cannot move up beyond a certain point? I have downloaded this game but ATM of this writing I am doing something which occupies a good deal of CPU time. That's why I write this now. But good job, it helps having a hopeless obsession for 1980's arcade games!

I've never thought of it as an upside down Moon Patrol but I suspect I always will from now on  Big Grin

(02-27-2023, 03:16 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: 12220 on my first attempt, woohoo! This game is absolutely spot on with the original. Scramble was one of my favorites as a kid spending my days in the local arcades. Another awesome game!

Exactly the same with me (except ten pence coins rather than quarters). I don't think I ever completed it in the arcade but I've completed it since in MAME. I've only made it to level five in my own version without cheating but I'm getting closer...

(02-27-2023, 03:28 AM)bplus Wrote: @RokCoder Well this is obvious feather for your cap! I will take Terry's word that it's plays like original. Congrats!

All super-valid ways of spending recreational time in your youth! Or even when not in your youth for that matter Smile

(02-27-2023, 03:38 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

Never too late to simulate a fist full of quarters in your pocket and get your 80's coin-op fix in Smile

The meteors are just as hard and nasty as the original! I'll eventually have a peek at the code, too busy Scrambling right now :p

It should all be pretty similar to the original. I ripped the level data from the MAME ROM so the landscape and enemy positions are all exactly the same  Tongue The actual game play is written from scratch though - feels pretty close in general.
Excellent RokCoder Smile 
It looks almost same as on 80' video game machine
Well done! Really reminds of the old days. What I'm missing is a guide. How do one shoot back?

By the way, my favorite game back then was Captain Comic. But I never made it to the end.  Sad
(02-27-2023, 10:39 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Well done! Really reminds of the old days. What I'm missing is a guide. How do one shoot back?

By the way, my favorite game back then was Captain Comic. But I never made it to the end.  Sad

"Controls are arrow keys to move and A/Z to fire and bomb."
QB64 Tutorial
Quote:"Controls are arrow keys to move and A/Z to fire and bomb."

Thanks!