Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with "Update all pages" on IDE Help menu
Bug 
I've been having trouble getting the "Update all pages" function to work from the Help file of the IDE.

It always stops after 56 of 880 items are downloaded.

I didn't bother to report it at first, but it's been that way for several days now.

I hope you are on Windows Vista or later, because QB64PE isn't supported in an earlier OS. Now I don't remember if it was possible to get a window looking like that on Windows7. Bumping this thread on the hope that it obtains enough interest for another reply better than mine.

I just thought about something else. Did you upgrade from QB64PE earlier than v3.6? If there are help files in text format, from the ZIP file they could be copied to the corresponding place on your system, "...\qb64pe\internal\help". It would miss a couple of files such as the new functionality in _NEWIMAGE().

The "HTTPS" functionality in QB64PE is still a work in progress. As I was already told, it's being used to update the help system, which means some people are going to have problems getting along with it until the functionality goes out of "$UNSTABLE" status.
Hi Stuart,

from the IDE status line in your screenshot I see you already use the latest QB64-PE version 3.6.0, so there should be no incompatibilities interfacing with our Wiki. I just made an "Update All" here without any issues.

The displayed error message above happens only, if the connection to a Wiki page fails completely or if the downloaded file is truncated, hence the start/end markers to extract the actual help text from the html file cannot be found. Both would imply a unstable internet line, however I suspect if so, then it wouldn't always happen at the same page.

So all I can suggest is: keep trying...
(03-04-2023, 06:41 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: Hi Stuart,

from the IDE status line in your screenshot I see you already use the latest QB64-PE version 3.6.0, so there should be no incompatibilities interfacing with our Wiki. I just made an "Update All" here without any issues, attached the help contents below for you, if you don't get it to work.

The displayed error message above happens only, if the connection to a Wiki page fails completely or if the downloaded file is truncated, hence the start/end markers to extract the actual help text from the html file cannot be found. Both would imply a unstable internet line, however I suspect if so, then it wouldn't always happen at the same page.

So all I can suggest is: keep trying or grab the archive I just updated below...

@RhoSigma

Thanks for checking into the problem.

I am using QB64-PE v3.6.0 on Windows Vista, and I just checked again but the "Update all pages" function still stops at item 56 of 880.  It's been that way for me for over a week and I haven't experienced any other internet problems.

I downloaded a copy of the help file that you uploaded, but I'll still keep checking every few days to see if the automatic update starts working and I'll post back here if/when it does (start working for me).

Thanks again!

SR
Unfortunatly, by the way how the download list is assembled, your file 56 must not necessarily be the same as on my side. To be sure what contents you get and what not please manually delete all files in the "help" folder inclusive "links.bin", then start the IDE and "Update All Pages". After your download fails have a look into the "help" folder and send a list/screenshot of the actual files or pack the entire folder and attach it.
(03-04-2023, 11:04 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: Unfortunatly, by the way how the download list is assembled, your file 56 must not necessarily be the same as on my side. To be sure what contents you get and what not please manually delete all files in the "help" folder inclusive "links.bin", then start the IDE and "Update All Pages". After your download fails have a look into the "help" folder and send a list/screenshot of the actual files or pack the entire folder and attach it.

After that you can restore the help files from my download archive above.

That fixed the problem!

After I deleted the contents of the "...\internal\help" folder I was able to complete the download to 100%.

The original "Help" folder only had 718 items to delete.

Now, after I did "Update All Pages" from the Help menu I have 880 items in the "Help" folder.

I can send you the original contents of my BAD "Help" folder if it will be of any use to you -- just let me know.

Thanks again for the info about how to fix this.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Stuart,

glad to hear that deleting the old contents solved the problem.

By that it's now almost clear what happend, you must have had any "Stowaway" .txt file in your old help folder, which wasn't actually a "help file" (not existing in the Wiki) which then of course caused the failure.

This is maybe my fault, as I recently deleted some redundant pages from the Wiki and renamed some other to follow the common page naming. I.e. you had the pages with the old names, and when trying to update them, they where no longer available under that name in the Wiki.

Good that you found it, as this will probably affect everybody exept me Big Grin , as I ALWAYS delete the old help folder contents when testing new Wiki related developments in QB64-PE. Now that I know that, I'll fix it in the next release, so that such changes in the Wiki do not break the page update anymore.

Thank you
(03-05-2023, 09:06 AM)RhoSigma Wrote: Hi Stuart,

glad to hear that deleting the old contents solved the problem.

By that it's now almost clear what happend, you must have had any "Stowaway" .txt file in your old help folder, which wasn't actually a "help file" (not existing in the Wiki) which then of course caused the failure.

This is maybe my fault, as I recently deleted some redundant pages from the Wiki and renamed some other to follow the common page naming. I.e. you had the pages with the old names, and when trying to update them, they where no longer available under that name in the Wiki.

Good that you found it, as this will probably affect everybody exept me  Big Grin , as I ALWAYS delete the old help folder contents when testing new Wiki related developments in QB64-PE. Now that I know that, I'll fix it in the next release, so that such changes in the Wiki do not break the page update anymore.

Thank you

Hi again, @RhoSigma

I can confirm that the problem affected at least one other person besides me.

After I followed the instructions for your fix and it worked, I checked with a friend of mine that uses QB64-PE on a Windows 7 64 bit system and he had the same problem except his updates would stop at 58 of 882.

After he deleted the contents of the "...\internal\help" folder his "Update All Pages" also completed to 100%.

As you said, refreshing the contents of the "help" folder for the next release should prevent this problem in the future.

Again,  Thanks for the quick responses and for all the work you do to keep the Wiki maintained.

SR
You're welcome!