Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you try a new lib and get a REQUIRE TO UPDATE
Would help me notice a new release sooner if latest release hyperline also had the version or have it displayed somewhere on the home page??? Guessing I missed 3.50 altogther  Big Grin

Just my two cents  Cool

BTW, requrie to update is a great touch for peeps like me   Heart
(03-06-2023, 02:47 AM)NasaCow Wrote: BTW, require to update is a great touch for peeps like me   Heart

Could you just tell me why?

Most people resist upgrading if the copy they have does all they ask for. Others have slow Internet connections and don't want to stick up for more than a few megabytes if it's not considered important. I resist upgrading because Windows' creators made me that way and definitively. I don't want to keep talking politically about it.

Maybe you just want to connect to Internet, fire up QB64PE IDE, have it check to see if there's a later release and inform you if that's the case? QB64 maintained by Galleon used to be that way but there were some problems with it. Probably the expectations out of a very small crowd increased that the product was going to be turned into a combination of Freebasic, Purebasic and Visual Basic into a freeware thing.

What I know is that the updating worked well for a couple of months and then the problems increased in which it was just easier to grab the latest ZIP or 7-Zip file of the whole latest version/release.

Coming to think about it, this is a good idea only because the Windows version of QB64PE requires MinGW and that is a heavy download. But it could be a PITA sorting out which files from that section need updating.

(Corrected a word for you, but why do you call yourself "peep"? It's disrespectful! I guess it's a social-networking or forum thing.)
I meant the “require to update" flag that told me I need to update to use the library that I was trying out because I am not one to update often or go digging for new updates unless there IS a problem. In no way did I mean to force people to update, that would be stupid.

Give it a try, try out Bin2Data: https://github.com/a740g/Bin2Data

With at least version 3.4.0, when you include the library it will throw in the IDE box below "REQUIRE TO UPDATE" so the flag is great for PEOPLE like me who don't update often  Cool 

P.S. I would include a screenshot but I already uninstalled 3.4.0 and installed 3.6.0

I went into my recycle bin and dug it out to save you the effort!

[Image: image.png]
But this should be if you're using an "$UNSTABLE" feature, or if you're using a keyword/function that was added in a later version/release of QB64PE. Less likely, this could happen if you had been using the "dot-rip" or the "qb64-dot-com" edition of QB64 and then switched to Phoenix Edition v3.1 or later.

Now asking the system to acquire a library is not that easy, would need another maintainer for this project. The error message in the screenshot posted just above is vague: is it asking for a BI/BM file, or a DLL/SO? It is only telling the user to upgrade to a later version/release of QB64PE.

Indeed this might be triggered by "$UNSTABLE", but we'll need to consult with DSMan195276 or another of the developers.
@NasaCow @mnrvovrfc

That Bin2Data repo is mine. I work on QB64PE, so I usually end up testing new stuff that we add. Some of these new things make their way to my own personal projects and hence I put that version check. Technically speaking the version check is part of `Common.bi` that I share across all my personal projects.

Bin2Data does not use any newish QB64-PE features, so you could just comment lines 12, 13 and 14 in Common.bi and compile.
Oh boy I'm getting old...

Forgot there was such thing as "$ERROR", it boiled down to that. Thanks to a740g for clearing it up. Smile
(03-08-2023, 05:08 PM)a740g Wrote: @NasaCow @mnrvovrfc

That Bin2Data repo is mine. I work on QB64PE, so I usually end up testing new stuff that we add. Some of these new things make their way to my own personal projects and hence I put that version check. Technically speaking the version check is part of `Common.bi` that I share across all my personal projects.

Bin2Data does not use any newish QB64-PE features, so you could just comment lines 12, 13 and 14 in Common.bi and compile.

Well, I didn't dig into it at all, I just updated. Thought it was cool that IDE could tell me I am out of date and don't know how I missed two releases! Trying to clean up my program by eliminating files and your utility works amazingly well! Thank you for sharing it!