Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 bug when using Inform
I tried using Inform 1.3 with QB64pe as I thought it should work. Well, sometimes it says include files are missing even though the editor says to click on it to open tht file! I change one of the include files to paste it.  Well, that fixed that one. Then it points to a DECLARE LIIBRARY 'falcon' so I copy tie file falcon.h over. Still does not see it. So I comment out the DECLARE statement. That causes the complaint that a later declaratiion is illegal without a correspondind DELARE LIBRARY statement.

Sometimes I think this proram should be named Catch-22 instead.
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while
Put all .h files in same folder as QB64pe.exe so you don't need copies in project folders.
If/When distribute your source, instruct users to do same, saves Mickey Mouse...

Come to think of it, I should test old Inform projects with latest QB64pe v3.6 ;-))
b = b + ...
Or better try make native GUI app
(03-25-2023, 07:10 AM)aurel Wrote: Or better try make native GUI app

Fine. Please be so kind as to tell me where to find that.

Wait, never mind, I found it: https://github.com/RhoSigma-QB64/QB64GuiTools

Thank you, it's very rare when someone exactly describes what I'm looking for. I first thought you were telling me about something I could use, I didn't realize what you said more-or-less was exactlywhat I needed to look for.

Having looked, I see it does its own thing and it creates a non-standard windowing interface, using the much older (and in my opinion less visually pleasing) Amiga OS window format. I'll try fixing the original Inform problem as suggeste, i.e. moving the .h file to the compiler's directory. I may try this GuiTool for something else to see how it works.
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while
(03-25-2023, 11:01 AM)TDarcos Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 07:10 AM)aurel Wrote: Or better try make native GUI app

Fine. Please be so kind as to tell me where to find that.

Wait, never mind, I found it: https://github.com/RhoSigma-QB64/QB64GuiTools

Thank you, it's very rare when someone exactly describes what I'm looking for. I first thought you were telling me about something I could use, I didn't realize what you said more-or-less was exactlywhat I needed to look for.

I'm pretty sure @aurel was talking about makiing a GUI application using native Windows API functions.

BUT, now as you've found my GuiTools Framework for QB64 and want to give it a try for your needs, just let me know when you need help or clarification. I'm lagging behind with documenting the whole thing, so just ask. One advantage of GuiTools at least. is the fact as it's author (me Big Grin ) is still around here to help and fix bugs when needed.
I actually was able to get Inform to work. I built a skeleton GUI  app to test it, then loaded the program I saved and it actually worked. Well, worked in the sense that the app started and displayed; but since no action was declared, nothing happened. But, the main thing was that I can use it, i.e. I could add the code to do things. The paradigm for accessing properties is slightly different from other languages including Visual Basic, but it's not too dificult from what I've seen.

Like too many programs, it's a nice tool but it needs documentation to be able to use it effectively. Or you have to be smart enough to figure it out.

It's funny, I got thinking it night be useful to be able to include actual C or C++ code in places where you needed to do something directly, and I didn't know it was possible.
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while
Quite likely links to InForm docs can be found searching InForm Boards at old Form .org
https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php?board=11.0
https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php?board=13.0
b = b + ...
InForm also has a GitHub Wiki.
Ah that's it! Smile
b = b + ...
(03-26-2023, 06:11 PM)bplus Wrote: Ah that's it! Smile

Only problem, all the images are gone, which show and describe the controls. They obviously were hosted at the no longer existing .org site.

But there seems to be a pretty recent copy at Archive.org