Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haunted House Text Adventure Game
I have tried to play...but I have no such ability in this genre of game.
I read about this kind of game done with text command and no images, or sounds.
It let me think about it as an ancient RPG in which you must explore, survive and win.
The original program was quite an achievement with only 4KB of RAM. Nothing worthwhile of images nor sound could fit into that much space. It's possible for a PNG file to be that small but don't expect it to be large or color-detailed, at best a forum avatar. A high-quality single-cycle waveform? Loop it.

Indeed, compared to that original program, or a BASIC version of it, QB64PE is an embarrassment of riches. Yet trying to give it fancy visuals starts to spoil the appeal. But how about programming some howling sinewaves here and there, especially when the player enters a room...
Hi Donald,

I have been a big fan of Text Adventures (IF) for such a long time. I cannot recall the number of listings I have entered in over the decades. Although the game is pure text, it utilises one of the best imaging systems on the planet, one's imagination...  I have used many IF engines in the past, many are very good, but I always seem to gravitate towards a "Basic" version. Sure, it is more work and may not be as "pretty" as a lot of IF engines, but Basic is what I do best...

Thank you for the game; the experience and the memories...
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(11-07-2022, 06:42 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Hi Donald,

I have been a big fan of Text Adventures (IF) for such a long time. I cannot recall the number of listings I have entered in over the decades. Although the game is pure text, it utilises one of the best imaging systems on the planet, one's imagination...  I have used many IF engines in the past, many are very good, but I always seem to gravitate towards a "Basic" version. Sure, it is more work and may not be as "pretty" as a lot of IF engines, but Basic is what I do best...

Thank you for the game; the experience and the memories...

Sure. Now good luck getting out of the %$^% foyer!

It is true about our imaginations. I mean look at that cool image Donald posted for the game box. Awesome! Companies were smart enough to hire professional artists to produce an image that would set a potential buyer's imagination in motion. Always a bit of buyer's remorse after the fact, but that's a lot of what x-mas is after the packages are all ripped open. I guess  human psychology, like QB64, is also quite BASIC. Oh, btw, my mother was a commercial artist for a major toy company. You guys can tell that gene skips a generation.

Pete
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

Navigating a text adventure is half the challenge. Most will display directions in which one can move... this one... not so much... Old school pencil and paper map to the rescue....

My dad had the knack of looking at an object or picture and reproduce it using pencil and paper. I wish I had a sample to share... quite impressive... My youngest daughter is also quite gifted, artistically speaking, not so much with a pencil but with colour. Now she is teaching her kids... As for me... I know that the pointy end of the pencil is used for drawing... lol I also tinker with Gimp to restore old photos... But that was some years back...
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
In other words you're still stuck on the foyer.

Pete

AKA iCandy