Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sayu Board Game
(06-10-2023, 12:28 PM)a740g Wrote: Here is Terry's Four-in-a-row game with a Minimax solver. I found this on an obscure website (I do not remember what it was now) and put it on GitHub for archiving.

QB64-Museum/FourinaRow at main · a740g/QB64-Museum · GitHub

I cleaned up the source just a bit to make it QB64-PE compatible and get the MIDI working.

The solver is kinda weak or is severely depth limited because I could beat it like 90% of the time. I'll look at it someday. Still, it is a work of art and a great resource to learn from.

@TerryRitchie you should probably look at it and maybe put it on www.qb64tutorial.com/games?
I wrote that with very limited time for a QB64 competition and didn't have time to complete the minmax portion of the game. You're correct, it's flawed and very weak. I never should have submitted it in the condition it was in. Now that you dug it back up I'll need to go through it and see if I can correct the flaws.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
@TerryRitchie is that a standard Connect 4 game? I only saw 3 X 4 rows? and columns? in the check for win part.
b = b + ...
(06-08-2023, 08:32 PM)Donald Foster Wrote: Hello all, 

Sayu is a 2 player  abstract strategy tile placing game. 

Donald
This looks great  @Donald Foster 

Well done! It's really neat to see high resolution graphics being used with text mode fonts. Smile
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(06-10-2023, 06:06 PM)bplus Wrote: @TerryRitchie is that a standard Connect 4 game? I only saw 3 X 4 rows? and columns? in the check for win part.
Yes, it's standard game. I probably had some reason for only checking 3x4 at some point in the game, probably the minmax portion. It's been so long since I created this thing I don't remember.
QB64 Tutorial
(06-10-2023, 06:23 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 06:06 PM)bplus Wrote: @TerryRitchie is that a standard Connect 4 game? I only saw 3 X 4 rows? and columns? in the check for win part.
Yes, it's standard game. I probably had some reason for only checking 3x4 at some point in the game, probably the minmax portion. It's been so long since I created this thing I don't remember.
It's interesting I threw out a similar challenge at Steve's old ProBoards forum and ARB took me up on it but refused to share source so I refused to run his exe's.

Personally I believe if you are a Basic coder you shouldn't be uptight about sharing code. If you want to do top level security stuff stay away from public forums.

Anyway, might be fun to resurrect and update codes.

Apologies to @Donald Foster for drifting off topic.
b = b + ...
(06-10-2023, 06:30 PM)bplus Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 06:23 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
It's interesting I threw out a similar challenge at Steve's old ProBoards forum and ARB took me up on it but refused to share source so I refused to run his exe's.

Personally I believe if you are a Basic coder you shouldn't be uptight about sharing code. If you want to do top level security stuff stay away from public forums.

Anyway, might be fun to resurrect and update codes.

Apologies to @Donald Foster for drifting off topic.
I believe this coding challenge was around 2012 and if I remember correctly there were about 6 or so of us that submitted finished projects. I did not win, nor should it have, because the AI portion of my game absolutely stinks. I don't remember the winning entry but it blew my game away. My mistake was entering the challenge late and putting myself in a rush to polish a turd. Smile

I remember ARB. Didn't he start causing problems for the community at one point?
QB64 Tutorial
Yes lets not get into that, I am digging up my old work.
b = b + ...
ARB?  Nah.  He's a swell guy.  Had to ban him from the forums, and then ban the 1200 accounts which he made which all used SteveAndBplusAreBothArseLickers### for his forum name.   I mean, heck, at one time, I think I banned 27 accounts all at once from him!   LOL!!

It's also why we closed registrations for a while last year, and folks had to get manual approval from the admin here, before they could join the forums.  It took about a month and a half for him to realize that we weren't going to approve his crap spamming butt, and then he finally went away, at which point we finally swapped back over to the automated forum approval system once again.  (Thank goodness!!  I'm a lazy admin and this thing of having to babysit every account that wanted to join was just more effort than I could sleep through!  Tongue )
(06-10-2023, 06:45 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: ARB?  Nah.  He's a swell guy.  Had to ban him from the forums, and then ban the 1200 accounts which he made which all used SteveAndBplusAreBothArseLickers### for his forum name. 
LOL!!!
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs