Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schizandra - the QB64 English wordlist-walker
Video 
Glad to share one practical etude written entirely in QB64 - Schizandra - an open-source 100% FREE GUI tool for Linux/Windows.
The attached file contains the sourcecode and the binaries, as for the 44GB file, it is to be shared when I find hosting... maybe later this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_zKU_ku8P4

Whenever the need for checking some word spelling (or derivatives i.e. sister-words) arises then Schizandra comes in handy as ... first line of defense.
Recently, I bought the cutest computer ever - 4 cores/threads, FANLESS, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, nvme SSD. It is excellent for off-line usage, trumping tablets and such with its power and miniaturistic/ergonomic design.
Basically, one can make quick searches into 45 mainstay corpora (put under one roof and sorted, thus each word is within its eventual cluster).
Didn't make the wildcard/fuzzy functionality since this revision is initial, it is as simple as possible.

Love that simplistic format, it will be used for other similar GUI utilities. 

Featuring:
- 881,283,514 distinct English words;
- using 8x16 and 16x32 state-of-the-art Japanese fonts;
- always dealing with 152x40 characters (in modes below 2K using 8x16 font, in modes 2K+ it uses 16x32 font);
- easy on the eyes;
- works on old laptops (as my Thinkpad 11e called 'Djudjeto') with HD resolution i.e. 1366x768.

Code: (Select All)
README.TXT

Schizandra quick overview
This is the initial release of the HUGEST English wordlist lookuperess :P

Many a corpus are included, see the .PDF file.
Just run the elf/exe on Linux/Windows.

Enfun!
2023-May-03,
Sanmayce
P.S.
My main email is no longer functional, the new one is sanmayce@yahoo.com

As always, I am open for suggestions, new functionalities and critiques.

.zip   Schizandra_r1.zip (Size: 3.64 MB / Downloads: 312)
"He learns not to learn and reverts to what the masses pass by."
Hello Sanmayce. I wish I caught you a few hours ago to warn not to write out your e-mail address straight out in a post on this forum because there are many lurkers and their bots... all waiting to send junk mail to somebody. You could have kept the address enclosed in the README, just not shown the contents of the README here. Smile

I was going to play an MMORPG which requested content that huge of 44GB (scratches head), it was bad enough that it was Windows only. I was trying to go back to it after eight years absent. Back then I didn't have to worry about intrusive updates but there was server lag and poor server response just like today. :/

I'm sure you are aware that certain computers equipped with NVME have trouble running a Linux OS. This is food everyday for places such as the Manjaro forums. (No I'm not member of that place LOL, just a kind warning to everyone else.) This is only if you consider running Linux some time as well as Windows.
hey @mn

you have "medal" Posting Freak Big Grin

but you have right about bots...they use links too Dodgy
Thumbs Up 
@Sanmayce thankyou for another marvelous gift that leaves me awed and in wonderment.

Curious why it's in the Help Me! board, to get more feedback?
b = b + ...
(05-04-2023, 03:26 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Hello Sanmayce. I wish I caught you a few hours ago to warn not to write out your e-mail address straight out in a post on this forum because there are many lurkers and their bots... all waiting to send junk mail to somebody. You could have kept the address enclosed in the README, just not shown the contents of the README here. Smile

I was going to play an MMORPG which requested content that huge of 44GB (scratches head), it was bad enough that it was Windows only. I was trying to go back to it after eight years absent. Back then I didn't have to worry about intrusive updates but there was server lag and poor server response just like today. :/

I'm sure you are aware that certain computers equipped with NVME have trouble running a Linux OS. This is food everyday for places such as the Manjaro forums. (No I'm not member of that place LOL, just a kind warning to everyone else.) This is only if you consider running Linux some time as well as Windows.

I'm running Zorin OS from an NVME right now. I've had zero issues. I was unaware that this was a potential issue.
Schuwatch!
Yes, it's me. Now shut up.
(05-04-2023, 05:34 AM)aurel Wrote: you have "medal" Posting Freak Big Grin

This forum gives that "medal" to whoever has over 800 posts and is not a moderator. I had changed it to "Senior Editor" before because I didn't like it, but now I just don't care. There's at least one other person reaching that number of posts and soon will have the same title as me.
Hey @mnrvovrfc, please report any issue/"drag" you find in revision 2.

>I'm sure you are aware that certain computers equipped with NVME have trouble running a Linux OS. This is food everyday for places such as the Manjaro forums. (No I'm not member of that place LOL, just a kind warning to everyone else.) This is only if you consider running Linux some time as well as Windows.

I'm rookie in Linux, yet, aware enough to skip bad/old distros, currently using latest Fedora, simply because of habit and circumstances, oh, also because I like it, overall. The need for latest is not kind of snobbism, but rather to have latest kernel/GCC/CLANG.

Wanted to upload it as a permanent link, for now, this link is active only for 30 days, grmbl.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/k4tlr5kf7...r2.7z/file
Feel free to upload this file on your own host, thus more people to can access it.

Anyway, hope people, interested in quick "how the hell was this spelled" checks, find this package useful.

In this revision 2, I added mouse support, @bplus, I know you also prefer mouse over pad/keyboard.
Also, 'b' starts the scroll benchmark, after 5 full rectangles (not circles, hee-hee) within the 2K canvas the FPS is reported, my favorite N4100 laptop reports 286 (on Fedora 38), my main i5-7200U laptop (on Fedora 36) reports 456:

When in wordlist window, at the top-right corner, mouse wheel and buttons are shown, it is useful to see whether clicking Button1+Button2 fires the MB3 i.e. whether it simulates Button3. On Linux, the Mouse Preferences "allow emulating middle button through simultaneous left and right click", didn't see such allowance on Windows.

In the future, the idea, is to use r.2 as launching "minidesktop"and to add more functionality within '/' and other "keys", for example, by pressing "`" I want to search-and-make-citations from given files...

Oh, realized didn't show the look of it:

Video 
Hopefully, next week, will share Schizandra r.3minus - the package is updated with adding new functionality and 12 additional corpora.

Writing simple things while contemplating how to keep the GUI simple and SUPER EASY on the eyes, is the name of the game.

Love the simplistic concept, so far, as always I am open for suggestions to what useful tasks are worth implementing.
My immediate selfsuggestion is to write searcher generating excerpts of fuzzy inputs, while giving the "environment" of the sought token, of course files are to be 4++GB.

This revision is dubbed 3minus, because didn't implement the actual Virtual Letterboard input, it is to be fed via GAMEPAD and Mouse!

Funny, how one Japanese developer kindled the Gamepad support in me as a must.

Oh, and one video showing how Schizandra supplements OED when checking out some words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AttsQ6FdYKU

Attached Files Image(s)

Glad to share revision 3 of Schizandra and Schizandrafield.

http://www.sanmayce.com/Schizandra/
http://www.sanmayce.com/Schizandra/Schizandra_r3.7z

Q: What is this duo all about? 
A: In short, exploring the appearance(s) of a given word across 57 mainstay English wordlists, ergonomically!

Highlights:
- Allowing quick word queries into biggest English wordlist 'Schizandrafield' - 800+ million unique words strong;
- The simplistic GUI works on Windows and Linux, on old laptops with only HD i.e. 1366x768;
- Just make a shortcut/link to the executable, either 'Schizandra_r3.elf' or 'Schizandra_r3.exe';
- The identical interface is minimalistic (and oldschool) - easy on the eyes - using internal/built-in 16x32 font, pastel/sepia/grayscale colors, vintage sounds;
- Simulating a typewriter soundage, for better feedback;
- The virtual keyboard is huge, hitting the 'keys' is EZ - released mode only i.e. no incidental repeats;
- Along with quick spellcheck suggestions (left and right word to the missing word), the 67+ thousand Random House Webster transcriptions are shown while typing;
- Queries are semi-powerful - in addition to exact searches, via wildcards and fuzzy (Longest-Common-Sub-String and Longest-Common-Sub-Sequence) too;
- 100% FREE, full sourcecode included, licenseless;
- This revision serves as an initial platform/platzdarm/launchpad for future text-related tools;
- Written in C & QB64 by machinely yours Sanmayce, suggesting at sanmayce@yahoo.com new/refined functionalities you may.

Enfun!
2023-Aug-21

Inhere we have one good starting point for writing simple GUI tools, the interface is maximally easy on the eyes, targeting oldest laptops with their 1366x768 mode.

I made the mouse support for the VirtualLetterboard, please share whether the typing on touchscreens is good:

Also wrote the main combos for GamePad support but only implemented the starting button, the rest to be done, think entering text via buttons and sticks will be a nice addition.
This revision 4 release is dedicated to all kids who need FREE English assistant/sidekick by their side.

I hate seeing situations in which people (especially kids) are helplessly standing in front of their laptops not able to quickly lookup certain words and their derivatives, therefore this portable (no installation needed) package serves (at least intended) as an wordexplorer.

Finally my wordsidekick kicks in hard by helping the user to lookup 12 dictionaries by positioning at their entries' lists, from the input box.

The whole package is 'Schizandra_r4.7z' 5,542,548,243 bytes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRQbZeb...sp=sharing

The 5 minutes long '12 Dictionaries' walkthrough video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Es8KW6j...sp=sharing

Above video is uncompressed, the lower quality is uploaded at YouTube:

The 8 minutes long 'Fuzzy Search' walkthrough video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14yUUan3...sp=sharing

Among the cheapest laptops/notebooks is my student notebook (Thinkpad 11e 5th gen, 11") with lowest video resolution of 1366x768 with slowest (no active cooling), love this machinette, Schizandra is developed on and for it targeting EASIEST READING by using hugest (and beautifulest, my word) font (thanks to Toshiba), thus poor[sight] people feel the fun of wordsmithing.