Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released!
I know Galleon meant well with it but I prefer the current system of version/release, without "magic buttons". QB64PE has become way more complex than what QB64 was before it hit v1 and Galleon had those auto-updates for a time. Once in a while the Windows user will have to swallow the large pill with "g++" and if it fails, it could render the whole thing unusable and then he/she would have to reinstall completely anyway which could be very off-putting.

With a "magic button" in the IDE like that, asking for support on this forum could get real interesting. "Oh I'm on version 4.1 with ten updates but refuse to download gee-plus-plus because it's too hard. My Internet is too slow and don't need it." Because I have already seen a reply much alike on another forum before for a development project like this.

The "magic button" isn't going to persuade people that stubbornly keep the "dot-rip" v2.0.2 and there are plenty of them lurking on these forums which is really a shame. There are many others who have even older version/releases of QB64, afraid to try new things that might break.

An "update upon request" feature could mean in disguise a way to design a "standard" Windows installer so that it chooses where to install for the user, which is energetically rejected by many users. But it could be the only way to ensure that things are in an expected place so the updates don't break the whole system easily. Already we are making huge gains by creating programs and relating to libraries without needing to refer to the "home" QB64 directory so much.

I admit I wish this project didn't rely so much on Github repositories. That site gives me the creeps. It has become a different jungle of confusion and incompleteness from Sourceforge.

Messages In This Thread
RE: QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released! - by mnrvovrfc - 05-06-2023, 04:14 AM