Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released!
Keep both "config.ini" files around and use Meld. (shrugs)

That's a program that came with EndeavourOS that I used to be ignorant about its value.

But only in that case, it could be possible to write a QB64 program that could synchronize a "master" config file. It would take extra work for most people.

The thing is that more than once, I just unpacked the entire contents of the TAR.GZ into the place where I installed QB64PE earlier, and chose "Overwrite everything" without thinking about it. So I lost a few settings for "config.ini", had to fumble in the IDE again because of it. That's why I use another code editor wherever I can.

I didn't want to make anybody mad here with my comments. Probably get mad at what I'm going to write here instead. But this "update button" could have some consequences. Such as going to update the program without sitting down deeply to use it. Take it from me, I have installed many Linux distributions. Especially the ones based on Arch are going many days without being used. Usually the next time I go into one of them, it's to update it. It's a personality flaw that I have. :/

I have downloaded Audacity AppImage many times, about 50MiB a pop. For each point release they put out, I used the program maybe four or five times? Maybe more times for one point release than others. And this has been so far from v3.2.1 to v3.3.1 inclusive. I just noticed there is a v3.3.2 that I need to download.

Also think about it: do I need _UPRINTSTRING in my program right now? Will I need one of the recently-added statements and functions tomorrow or next week or next month? In a program that computes something like the Hebrew calendar and was designed to give "control breaks" about it like COBOL? A lot of stuff presented in this forum, which has nothing to do with graphics and music, could be run on v2.0.2. Maybe with a bit of discomfort on MacOS or Linux but still.

"OOH a cool function! I'm going to add it to my program, although I really don't know how to use it. Then boom. The programming system developers are ebil because they ate my program." As much as people are warned not to use $UNSTABLE features in a "release" version of an application created with QB64PE, they don't listen and then when it breaks or it doesn't work how it expects, the developers get the blame unfairly. Imagine if we had a "magic" update button? A few people would start doing it on purpose. I think eventually it was one reason why Galleon declined after a time; the other time was because he just became sick and tired of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released! - by mnrvovrfc - 05-06-2023, 10:28 PM