Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released!
(05-06-2023, 10:28 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: The thing is that more than once, I just unpacked the entire contents of the TAR.GZ into the place where I installed QB64PE earlier, and chose "Overwrite everything" without thinking about it. So I lost a few settings for "config.ini", had to fumble in the IDE again because of it. That's why I use another code editor wherever I can.

I hope you don't actually do updates this way because copying the new version on top of the old is an extremely easy way to end up with a completely broken install (and it may not be obviously broken initially).

(05-06-2023, 10:28 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Also think about it: do I need _UPRINTSTRING in my program right now? Will I need one of the recently-added statements and functions tomorrow or next week or next month? In a program that computes something like the Hebrew calendar and was designed to give "control breaks" about it like COBOL? A lot of stuff presented in this forum, which has nothing to do with graphics and music, could be run on v2.0.2. Maybe with a bit of discomfort on MacOS or Linux but still.

The issue with this logic (from my POV) is that people routinely run into bugs that are already fixed in later versions, that's the big reason I encourage people to be using the latest version. They're more likely to do that if it's easier to update.

(05-06-2023, 10:28 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: As much as people are warned not to use $UNSTABLE features in a "release" version of an application created with QB64PE, they don't listen and then when it breaks or it doesn't work how it expects, the developers get the blame unfairly. Imagine if we had a "magic" update button? A few people would start doing it on purpose. I think eventually it was one reason why Galleon declined after a time; the other time was because he just became sick and tired of it.

Currently we already get a good number of issue reports simply from people doing updates incorrectly and breaking their install. If you don't want to use automate updates nobody would be forcing you, but it's clear to me that the current system does not work well since it's resulting in many broken systems. The nice thing about an update process is that it would at least be something we can fix if it has problems - we can't fix people Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.7.0 Released! - by DSMan195276 - 05-07-2023, 03:55 AM