Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The QB64 Bible (Work In Progress)
As you guys might know (if you don't, what the heck have you been doing -- hiding your head under a rock somewhere??), I've transitioned into a writer/novelist now that I've more or less officially retired here at the farm.  October to January still keeps me busy with farm life, but otherwise I've got the rest of the year free to indulge my hobbies however I want.

For ages, I've been promising, "Some day, I'm going to sit down and end up writing up some sort of overly complex and wordy manual for QB64 that everyone can laugh at and nobody will probably ever use!"

Well, I just so happen to be snowed in -- and have been snowed in for the last few weeks -- and my boredom and restlessness has now gotten to the point where I finally decided to sit down and start on this little project:  The QB64 Bible.

For now, all I've got is basically a write up about SCREEN 0 -- (and it's only about 14 pages long) -- but I hope it shows the style and format I'm shooting for here, and the information which I want to try and gather up into one easy to find and reference area.

Feel free to download it.  Study it.  Point out anything that seems unclear or imprecise, or that you just don't like, and offer any ideas of what you guys think should go into this little project.  I'm just starting on this, but if all works out, I can probably churn out a few hundred pages of nonsense by the end of the month (provided I stick with this project exclusively during that time), so at that point it might actually have enough information in it to become something that somebody, somewhere, might want to make use of sometime in the future.

Just remember:  This is a work in progress and is subject to any and all revisions, edits, changes, additions, and deletions -- at my whim and whimsey -- for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE:  There's a little more in there now than just SCREEN 0 stuff.  The above was a copy/paste from the first page of the old topic from the past forums which we had, and I'd already posted several additions and updates to the work from then till when everything was shut down.

Attached Files
.docx   The QB64 Bible (08.18.2022).docx (Size: 192.45 KB / Downloads: 221)
Looks like a GREAT start! 

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
Just looking through this, and hoping recent upheavals don't keep you from having time to continue on the project. Even when you know the broader concepts, there are still little tidbits and tweaks of awareness to be gleaned from your text. I've learned a few things already and rootin' for you to go as far as you can.
DO: LOOP: DO: LOOP
sha_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na:
I read/worked my way through this today/yesterday. I certainly like what I see so far.
My eyes glazed after the first few pages, but I could see this was going to be a very useful tool, once I digest all its info! Go Steve!
A had a little time to toss into this once again, so I've added a few pages to add Chapter 4: Optimizing a program. Of course, there's a lot more that can be said and done to speed up the performance of a program (use _MEM, or hardware images, or _KEYDOWN over _KEYHIT when applicable), but I wanted to toss a few basic chapters into the bible which would relate for everyone. New download is available at the bottom of the first post, for those who are interested.
Hi Steve.
Still enjoying reading The Bible daily, and finding new gems each time. It's a big job, and it's looking good.
But on page 32, the first line reads as "removing math from outside loops...". Correct me if I'm wrong (and I usually am these days) but I think you mean "removing math from inside loops..."
If I'm wrong
can you clarify this for me? 
Else 
maybe correct this so dummies don't trip over it
End If
Big Grin
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/