Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloading QB64PE
I thought it would be a good idea to download the latest version of QB64PE.
Maybe I'm being daft, but I can't find the download link.
Perhaps it could be made a little more transparent for my benefit and any newcomers that could be easily put off.
look on the announcements section https://www.qb64phoenix.com/forum/showth...p?tid=1754
Or directly: QB64 3.8.0
(07-09-2023, 02:22 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Or directly: QB64 3.8.0

Scroll down on that page and choose which asset suits your system:  Linux, Windows, Mac, 32, or 64 bit.
(07-09-2023, 02:25 PM)SMcNeill Wrote:
(07-09-2023, 02:22 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Or directly: QB64 3.8.0

Scroll down on that page and choose which asset suits your system:  Linux, Windows, Mac, 32, or 64 bit.
It does not come up in seamonkey. I've used chrome and I'm now getting trouble extracting the files. I will work on it.
https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...4-3.8.0.7z

https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...8.0.tar.gz

https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...8.0.tar.gz

Direct Links for Win-64, Mac, Linux.

7-zip should be able to extract everything easily.
Quote:@david_uwi -  It does not come up in seamonkey. I've used chrome and I'm now getting trouble extracting the files. I will work on it.
I hope you know that you need an extra program to unpack? For example this: 7zip
@david_uwi I feel your pain. Before I learned GitHub I was always trying to find things like this.

There is mixed news for you!

The good news is QB64PE GitHub project works with the concept of "Releases" which you can see on the right. Here is an annotated screenshot for you. It's confusing unless you understand how GitHub works.

[Image: github-release.png]

1. Go to https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe/
  2. On right side, click Releases
  3. The most recent release is at the top of this page, but you have to scroll down to get to the Assets (Downloads)
  4. Click the asset (download/zip/whatever) for your platform to get it

My hope is in sharing this step by step I served you a little how to that you can use for other GitHub projects that you can't find download links for.

The bad news is, not all projects hosted on GitHub use "Releases", some don't even have "Tags", and some don't even offer compiled binaries for various platforms.

If this is the case you can download the source code and compile yourself and check the README.md file (it's like old DOS README.TXT files) to learn more. Sometimes they have a BUILD.md or such, just look around in the zip you download.

But the best thing would be to actually download and install a "git" client. Which will then let you use the CLI to clone repos. You can simply avoid this sure, but if you start getting into it, it's really addictive. I don't build anything anymore unless I'm using a git repo. Version control is too good to pass up!

You can also use other git repos inside your own git repo from other developers, like for example I'm using @a740g Toolbox64 as a submodule in my own QB64Dungeon project. It's powerful and painless (ONCE YOU LEARN! - painful until then)

If you're not into all this you can compromise even by using a desktop GUI client for git. There are many, but the official GitHub Desktop app is a great start and easy to grok. The help on github is also awesome.

Plus you have all of us to help you learn if you want to!

Take care, and hope this helps!
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(07-09-2023, 03:05 PM)david_uwi Wrote: It does not come up in seamonkey.

You will need to use a "more modern" web browser than that one or Palemoon, because Github (and its imitator Codeberg for that matter) refuses to load properly in a web browser it thinks is not "modern" enough. It sucks having to keep Chromium or something else around only for one thing, but...

I wish I could use Palemoon but I have to visit Github and other sites once in a while that browser cannot display properly because it gets stuck on a loop. Sad to see from a 64-bit program which developers refuse to prove a 32-bit version.

What you could do in the meantime, is follow this template:

ttps://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe/releases/download/vx.y.0/qb64pe_lnx-x.y.0.tar.gz

Note I have taken off the leading "h" so this forum doesn't turn the above line into a web link. It's not meant to be clicked.

Then say the QB64 Phoenix Edition version/release is 4.2.

Then the green "x" you change it to "4"

and the red "y" you change it to "2"

in the above web link template.

You could do this on Seamonkey or other browser you prefer and it should download the package for QB64PE. It should not open Github.

This is just an example. Currently the "x" is 3 and the "y" is 8.

EDIT: Sorry cannot get the colors right today.
(07-09-2023, 05:09 PM)grymmjack Wrote: @david_uwi I feel your pain. Before I learned GitHub I was always trying to find things like this.

There is mixed news for you!

The good news is QB64PE GitHub project works with the concept of "Releases" which you can see on the right. Here is an annotated screenshot for you. It's confusing unless you understand how GitHub works.

[Image: github-release.png]

1. Go to https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe/
  2. On right side, click Releases
  3. The most recent release is at the top of this page, but you have to scroll down to get to the Assets (Downloads)
  4. Click the asset (download/zip/whatever) for your platform to get it

My hope is in sharing this step by step I served you a little how to that you can use for other GitHub projects that you can't find download links for.

The bad news is, not all projects hosted on GitHub use "Releases", some don't even have "Tags", and some don't even offer compiled binaries for various platforms.

If this is the case you can download the source code and compile yourself and check the README.md file (it's like old DOS README.TXT files) to learn more. Sometimes they have a BUILD.md or such, just look around in the zip you download.

But the best thing would be to actually download and install a "git" client. Which will then let you use the CLI to clone repos. You can simply avoid this sure, but if you start getting into it, it's really addictive. I don't build anything anymore unless I'm using a git repo. Version control is too good to pass up!

You can also use other git repos inside your own git repo from other developers, like for example I'm using @a740g Toolbox64 as a submodule in my own QB64Dungeon project. It's powerful and painless (ONCE YOU LEARN! - painful until then)

If you're not into all this you can compromise even by using a desktop GUI client for git. There are many, but the official GitHub Desktop app is a great start and easy to grok. The help on github is also awesome.

Plus you have all of us to help you learn if you want to!

Take care, and hope this helps!
Wow, what a great explanation Grymmjack!  I am following this exactly and wish I had this write up when I started using it all.  Cheers!