Poll: QB64 Vault - Would you be OK with... ( you may choose up to 3 )
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Cultivating your own programs and shares in a Vault?
28.00%
7 28.00%
Allowing moderators to cultivate your programs and shares in a Vault?
32.00%
8 32.00%
Importing external code and projects not original to the forum in a Vault?
24.00%
6 24.00%
No, just no.
16.00%
4 16.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The QB64PE Vault
Question 
Hey all.

I want to run passed something the community. Poll is up - you can choose multiple answers (up to 3)

I have been enjoying browsing the old forum that Luke now hosts (here: https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php).

One thing I've noticed about that old forum is that it was MUCH better organized.

I would love to do something similar with our forum here and wanted to get your thoughts.

We could start a posterity vault, where code that we share here, big or small, could be stored like it is in the Samples & References in the old forum here (in this example Games: https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php?board=18.0)

Would you all:
A. Be OK doing this yourself, once we setup the structure and the guidelines.
B. Be OK with us as moderators just doing this for you if you are too lazy? Smile
C. Be OK with us also cultivating for code that is NOT posted on the forum, like in @a740g's excellent museum repo, etc.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Simply thinking:
Have a section called "Vault", and in that section simple categories (TBD), like Games, Utilities, like the old forum.

Then we collectively keep those threads as single posts, with example code shared, zips, screenshots, and any author information we can find. In this way we can start to really capture a ton of resources and make our forum even better.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
I was a big fan of the layout of the old forum as well as a lot of the functionality, like search and code blocks. It also had better image support. To be honest, I'd rather we just swap out the forum provider for the one we had back at QB64.org lol
Tread on those who tread on you

(09-12-2023, 11:21 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: I was a big fan of the layout of the old forum as well as a lot of the functionality, like search and code blocks. It also had better image support. To be honest, I'd rather we just swap out the forum provider for the one we had back at QB64.org lol

I asked about this on Discord and @SMcNeill said if it aint broke... (yes I know that doesn't work for this rebuttal Tongue because it's not as friendly as smf).
grymmjack (gj!)
I'd rather have this forum, never a fan of SMF. Take a brief visit to Aurel's forum. Besides the fact it's not "HTTPS" it's really freaking annoying to navigate that place only to read "roquedrivel's" posts.

Never thought much about SMF while I enrolled in the old forum dominated by Galleon. I remember it had none of the loading problems, in fact it loaded quickly with a slow Internet connection. I was a coward for posting images and attachments, though. I was content to be able to put source code as part of an ordinary forum post, even if it had to be especially formatted.

But isn't there already a "Samples" repository? I liked Steve's program which was able to give a short description of a QB64 program selected from a menu. This was from a BAS file LOL; if the user selected it then QB64 was called upon to create the EXE file and run it.

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...collection

I suppose that "Samples" repository could be updated and presented somewhere. It's not included anymore in QB64 download because it's becoming huge ( :O 86MiB before anything else could be added). However, I propose a small portion of it presented as part of QB64 download, to help some users on their way, especially the ones not as familiar with Microsoft products as we are.
No wait, I read the bottom of the OP again. One thing that sucks is it could lead to a situation like the "boards" forum which has sub-forums not even filled in for some reason. It looks sloppy. Many visitors don't like enrolling in a forum which looks abandoned only by looking at a sub-forum which has zero threads for any reason.

The other forum also seems to emphasize only three sub-forums out of... um 20 I think. It's not much different from here. "General Discussion" isn't getting very much. Otherwise I think we depended a bit too much on Pete to do his thing LOL away from "administeering."
(09-12-2023, 11:35 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: But isn't there already a "Samples" repository? I liked Steve's program which was able to give a short description of a QB64 program selected from a menu. This was from a BAS file LOL; if the user selected it then QB64 was called upon to create the EXE file and run it.

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...collection

I suppose that "Samples" repository could be updated and presented somewhere. It's not included anymore in QB64 download because it's becoming huge ( :O 86MiB before anything else could be added). However, I propose a small portion of it presented as part of QB64 download, to help some users on their way, especially the ones not as familiar with Microsoft products as we are.

Thanks for that link, I'll check it out!

86mB!
grymmjack (gj!)
I don't want to just say No but look, we have a place to store our own stuff:

Quote: Prolific Programmers
Much like the Expanded Horizons, which features a spot for library creators to highlight and share the works, "Prolific Programmers" is a little corner of the web that users can request to join so that they can keep and maintain all of their code samples and programs in one place for ease of access.

Pete didn't even show his own stuff!

Just request SMcNeill a board all your own. @grymmjack if you want to collect favorites from around the world start a corner for that. I would luv to see what you come up with!
b = b + ...
Aye.  Start a Grymm's Favorites board in the Prolific Programmers area and showcase those samples you find worthy there.  ?