Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Sounds in QB64 Programs
Jeez, I go away for a few days and poof, what happened? I tried running a program that worked fine last week and got compilation errors, so I rebooted. Then I tried running a game I've been working on and none of the sounds worked. I tried others, nothin. I tried just a BEEP program, nothin. All sounds outside of QB64 work as usual. 

So I tried installing the latest version of QB64pe and still no sounds! What gives? 

--Frustrated Naked Ape

P.S. I'm on a Mac.
(09-20-2023, 01:12 AM)NakedApe Wrote: Jeez, I go away for a few days and poof, what happened? I tried running a program that worked fine last week and got compilation errors, so I rebooted. Then I tried running a game I've been working on and none of the sounds worked. I tried others, nothin. I tried just a BEEP program, nothin. All sounds outside of QB64 work as usual. 

So I tried installing the latest version of QB64pe and still no sounds! What gives? 

--Frustrated Naked Ape

P.S. I'm on a Mac.
I'm not familiar with MAC so this may or may not help.

Did your MAC have a recent update? if so is there a mechanism in a MAC to restore to a previous point like Windows does with restore points? Or uninstall the latest update if possible?
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(09-20-2023, 02:57 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 01:12 AM)NakedApe Wrote: Jeez, I go away for a few days and poof, what happened? I tried running a program that worked fine last week and got compilation errors, so I rebooted. Then I tried running a game I've been working on and none of the sounds worked. I tried others, nothin. I tried just a BEEP program, nothin. All sounds outside of QB64 work as usual. 

--Frustrated Naked Ape

P.S. I'm on a Mac.

Did your MAC have a recent update? if so is there a mechanism in a MAC to restore to a previous point like Windows does with restore points? Or uninstall the latest update if possible?
Thanks, Terry. Well, the Mrs. says my computer came on by itself late last night, so maybe an auto-update screwed my system. Arg. Reverting to an older version of MacOS is a royal pain. This could be trouble. Are there any other Mac users out there with insights on this? Thanks. I'm on Ventura 13.5.2.
Uhg! that's gotta suck! my sympathies.

@grymmjack I think dabbles with mac, has he checked his sound programs?
b = b + ...
(09-20-2023, 04:47 AM)NakedApe Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:57 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

--Frustrated Naked Ape

P.S. I'm on a Mac.

Thanks, Terry. Well, the Mrs. says my computer came on by itself late last night, so maybe an auto-update screwed my system. Arg. Reverting to an older version of MacOS is a royal pain. This could be trouble. Are there any other Mac users out there with insights on this? Thanks. I'm on Ventura 13.5.2.

I am on Ventura 13.5.2 too and the sound works just fine.

From the QB64-PE menu, click Debug > Purge C++ Libraries and then compile and try again.

Also, ensure you have installed QB64-PE 3.8.0 to a new directory and not overwriting the files over a previous installation.
(09-20-2023, 12:39 PM)a740g Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 04:47 AM)NakedApe Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:57 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: I'm not familiar with MAC so this may or may not help.

From the QB64-PE menu, click Debug > Purge C++ Libraries and then compile and try again.

Also, ensure you have installed QB64-PE 3.8.0 to a new directory and not overwriting the files over a previous installation.

Thanks vm, a740g! I will try that asap! Fingers crossed...
(09-20-2023, 03:34 PM)NakedApe Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 12:39 PM)a740g Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 04:47 AM)NakedApe Wrote: Thanks, Terry. Well, the Mrs. says my computer came on by itself late last night, so maybe an auto-update screwed my system. Arg. Reverting to an older version of MacOS is a royal pain. This could be trouble. Are there any other Mac users out there with insights on this? Thanks. I'm on Ventura 13.5.2.

Thanks vm, a740g! I will try that asap! Fingers crossed...
Unfortunately, that didn't work. When you, a740g, wrote to install 3.8 to a new directory, the tar file automatically expands the qb64pe files into a new folder on the desktop. Is that overwriting a previous install or separate enough? I'm pulling out my old computer now and will try to install 3.8 on the 2014 clunker...
Does MacOS save settings specific to applications? Does it consider QB64PE an application?

Might want to try a simple program creating sound with QB64 v2.1 (the "official" one). Because the libraries to produce sound were changed in Phoenix Edition, to support more audio formats like the ancient tracker modules, and like QOA for the upcoming v3.9.

This is a strange problem. Might want to try with another language product. I don't know if QB64 on Macintosh still requires X-Code, might want to run a quick example of audio with that other programming system.

Somewhere in Freebasic forums I read that audio could be generated with `/dev/dsp` device. Does MacOS do a similar thing? It might have been blocked for QB64PE because MacOS must have decided it's not a reliable application, nor the user programs created with it. -_O_-
(09-20-2023, 07:55 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Does MacOS save settings specific to applications? Does it consider QB64PE an application?

Might want to try a simple program creating sound with QB64 v2.1 (the "official" one). Because the libraries to produce sound were changed in Phoenix Edition, to support more audio formats like the ancient tracker modules, and like QOA for the upcoming v3.9.

This is a strange problem. Might want to try with another language product. I don't know if QB64 on Macintosh still requires X-Code, might want to run a quick example of audio with that other programming system.

Somewhere in Freebasic forums I read that audio could be generated with `/dev/dsp` device. Does MacOS do a similar thing? It might have been blocked for QB64PE because MacOS must have decided it's not a reliable application, nor the user programs created with it.  -_O_-

Thanks, mnrvovrfc. I'm no Mac expert and don't know if it saves app specific settings. Xcode is still required. The OS does consider qb64pe an app, a Unix Executable. For QB to run, you have to give it permission because it's not from a known software provider, but, yeh, the OS definitely considers me an unreliable program creator...

I don't know. It's a weird problem, but not the first time MacOS has borked my system. My 2014 computer couldn't compile QB64pe 3.6 or 3.8, but I have a newer Mac that I'm going to try a clean install on. Wish me luck.
Hi,

Sorry you are having mac issues.

If you have a sample I can try it on my mac. I have a 2015 MacBook.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs