Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Sounds in QB64 Programs
(10-08-2023, 08:15 PM)a740g Wrote: Ok. A quick note. I've been experiencing the same issue after some recent macOS update. I am quite certain it was `13.5.1`.

I think Apple changed something. If anyone is running something earlier than 13.5, please test and let us know.

I'll try to roll back the build on my machine and test when I get some time.

BTW, I am on Ventura.

Update: A quick way to verify this is an OS problem and not QB64-PE is to use an older build of QB64-PE like 3.7 or 3.6.

Update 2: The issue seems to be limited to Ventura and Sonoma. Thanks to @grymmjack for testing.

Update 3:
Ok. I found a fix for this and will be pushing it to the GitHub repo shortly. Updated bits will be available in the next release.
For the technically inclined, see the macOS building notes here https://miniaud.io/docs/manual/index.html#Building
And no, using an older version of QB64-PE will not help. To work around this in the current release of QB64-PE do the following:
  • Find and open `internal/c/parts/audio/miniaudio_impl.cpp` for editing
  • Right after line #14 (one that says `#include "extras/stb_vorbis.c"`) add the following
  • Code: (Select All)
    #ifdef __APPLE__
    #    define MA_NO_RUNTIME_LINKING
    #endif
  • Do not change anything else and save the file
  • Open QB64-PE and then click `Debug > Purge C++ Libraries`
  • Compile your program and now audio should work

I wish Apple left their notarization process requirements relaxed.

Sorry about all this. Saying "screw you Apple!" may make you feel better though.  Big Grin  Angel
Thank you so much, I can confirm that did fix the problem Smile
"Screw you, Apple!"

HEY!  That **did** make me feel better -- and I'm running Windows!
(09-20-2023, 10:18 AM)bplus Wrote: Uhg! that's gotta suck! my sympathies.

@grymmjack I think dabbles with mac, has he checked his sound programs?

All my sounds work great in v3.8.0, v3.9.0, v3.9.1 - Though I am on a 2015 Mac and running Monterey latest.

I can't upgrade to the new Mac OS versions because my hardware isn't supported.

Hope this helps.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
Wow, thanks, a740g! I can't wait to try this fix asap!
Hmm, well, it didn't work on my machine, M1 Mac Mini running Ventura 13.5.2 and qb64 3.6.0...
I've got QB64 running on another mac, so it's not the end of the world that it doesn't work on this computer, but it's still a small bummer. I've set the other mac running QB not to software update anything ever again and turned off wifi - no taking away my QB!
Thanks so much for that fix. I can confirm that I had no sounds in the latest versions of both QB64 and QB64PE (MacBook Pro 14, Sonoma 14.1) 
After implementing the change to the audio file and recompiling I now have a BEEP!
(11-03-2023, 05:57 PM)MacCodeSmith Wrote: Thanks so much for that fix. I can confirm that I had no sounds in the latest versions of both QB64 and QB64PE (MacBook Pro 14, Sonoma 14.1) 
After implementing the change to the audio file and recompiling I now have a BEEP!

You are welcome. Smile 

Then next release of QB64-PE will have the fix included.