Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone familiar with GFABASIC32 for Windows?
On a complete lark I recently downloaded GFABASIC32 for Windows and today I was fiddling with it and it's not such a bad version of Basic at all. Anyone else familiar with it at all?
That was a long time ago i tried it , it have tendency to crush
then mess up something with registry ..then i never used it again.
I’ve played with now and then over the years. Not very much though.  Looks like it has come a long way.  The dev must be dedicated.  Not a bad hobby Lang to play with. And you can’t beat the price. I think I will try it again.

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
Well would be nice to know if this Basic or any other is going to take possession of .bas only for itself in the Windows registry.

Don't play with those because I remember it took forever to undo x11's little monkey business with .bas possession!
b = b + ...
(10-28-2023, 01:44 PM)bplus Wrote: Well would be nice to know if this Basic or any other is going to take possession of .bas only for itself in the Windows registry.

Don't play with those because I remember it took forever to undo x11's little monkey business with .bas possession!

It doesn't seem to do so. It uses  *.g32 for source file names.
Then you have bplus Seal of Approval! LOL
b = b + ...
It is not with file extension then something with ocx. registration
which are in .dlls that comes with GFA
I know one thing from that bad experience that i will never use it
again.
Last year I downloaded Dark BASIC without knowing if I would have an use for it, and how to find time for it. I don't know if this was the evolution of the same thing I once saw in a box on CompUSA. Rolleyes

I also have two of the Small BASIC AppImages for Linux. Tried only the console one so far, but to me it's clunky running an AppImage in this way.

I've been trying to go back to Freebasic somewhat for as long as I could hold my images and music horses back.

EDIT: it's difficult to consider Freebasic for "serious bizz-nezz" after I downloaded a game from "Freebasic Games" site. The Linux executable kept crying out for a frecking legacy console library although I installed Freebasic correctly on MX Linux. The source code BAS was available so I recompiled it. Then I ran the executable. It showed a screen which didn't react properly to the mouse and when it did receive a left button press, it seg-faulted. Tongue

It was this one:
https://games.freebasic.net/dumpbyid.php?input=192

About the reassigning of file extensions to programs: Scintilla likes doing that junk. The Pure Basic IDE won permanent infamous points from me for doing it even before I could access the program preferences to ask it not to. The option should be disabled by default, that is, from the factory. A while ago I was searching online but I can't remember the name of this similar editor I was checking out on Windows last year, created by a Russian programmer, which impulsively did the same thing, which was the main reason why I rejected it.

Geany based on Scintilla also, this made me facepalm this year. Use "Recent" files list just use open file requester, choose file, ask it to load the file and then where the hey is the cursor? Behind the file tab. Notepad++ does that also which ensures it wouldn't be a keyboard-only program. That's why I dislike it. Too bad that after heavy use of Geany, it convinces me it's inferior to Kate, which is really the best I could do but it has different things that annoy me. That "introduction" screen they put on everybody who upgraded to KDE Plasma v5.27 and the program preferences confusingly inserted like another text document.

Sorry I went rambling for too long. But I don't have room for another BASIC interpreter right now. QB64 and Freebasic have been good enough so far.