Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone tried MMBasic on a Pico?
It's a free BASIC interpreter that runs on the Raspberry Pi Pico/Pico W microcontrollers. Based on aa large subset of Microsoft's GW-BASIC plus plus some more modern programming structures documented in the ANSI Standard for Full BASIC (X3.113-1987) or ISO/IEC 10279:1991. The Pico is a tiny board and has a tiny price starting at around £6.75 at Amazon UK. More information (and a downloadable MMBasic manual) can be found at Geoff’s Projects (BASIC Interpreter for the Raspberry Pi Pico). There are also some videos on YouTube posted by the Explaining Computers guy. The result of combining a Pico with MMBasic is called a PicoMite. There is also a more advanced project that is called a PicoMite VGA. Having just got a Pico (at that price, how can you go wrong?), I was wodering if anyone else has tried it.

TR
Nobody? So, when I get around to doing something with it there'll be nobody on here to hold my hand then I suppose. I'll change my question slightly in light of that then. Anybody looked at the manual and have an opinion? The manual is a separate download at the bottom of the page linked to in my previous post (Geoff’s Projects).

Thanks. 

TR
I was afraid you would be irritated by saying this: somebody else was interested in it, but maybe on different equipment:

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...ht=mmbasic

You might want to ask moon_cresta what is happening. But see if they come back to this forum.
Not irritated in the least. Thanks for the link. Only thing is a maximite is a mini PC

[Image: G2_FrontTopView.jpg]

Whereas a Raspberry PI Pico is a microcontroller and is tiny.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftutorials-raspberrypi.c...ipo=images]

From left to right those are the Pico, the original Pi zero and on the right the pi 4. FWIW the pi 4 is roughly credit/debit card sized. the pico is just 21 mm x 51mm (very roughly 2/3 inch x 2.5 inch). mmBasic for the pico is an adapted version of the language specifically for the pico. Anyway. I'll wait and see if moon_cresta chimes in.

Thanks again.

TR
"From left to right those are the Pico, the original Pi zero and on the right the pi 4. FWIW the pi 4 is roughly credit/debit card sized. the pico is just 21 mm x 51mm (very roughly 2/3 inch x 2.5 inch). mmBasic for the pico is an adapted version of the language specifically for the pico. Anyway. I'll wait and see if moon_cresta chimes in."

I, moon cresta, am duly chiming in! Although I'm not sure if I can add a huge amount to the conversation at the moment. I also have a Raspberry Pi Pico along with a breadboard kit, but I haven't done anything with it yet (it was a present). I think I watched the Explaining Computers YouTube video about it and MMBasic too, but not for a while (I just took a quick look at bits of it again, pretty cool). 

Currently focusing more on Python.