Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another easy one:
Typing Print val("3*3") returns 3.
I would expect it to return 9. I don't see anything to indicate differently.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
This is a rather intriguing idea. Personally, I love the idea of having an easily accessible math expression evaluator built into the language. However, Val historically has never parsed expressions. Doing this now, would be a breaking change. Perhaps we can expand Val like n = Val("3 * 3", -1), where the second optional argument would tell Val to enable the parser. No promises. Just thinking out loud.  Big Grin
It's not going to print 9 for you, as VAL doesn't do the math inside a string for you.  All it does is take the string you give it -- starting from the left and moving right 1 character at a time, until it comes across an unexpected character, and then returns the value of that leading string up to that point to you.

address$ =  "230 McNeil Hill Rd"
PRINT "Steve's house number is"; VAL(address$)

^ With the above, it's just going to print:  "Steve's house number is 230"  -- Everything after those numeric characters just get truncated and ignored.

So with your PRINT VAL("3 * 3"), it reads the leading 3.  Says, "Yep!  That's a number!".  Reads the spaced afterwards.  Says, "Nope!  Not a number!  The answer is 3!"
(12-10-2023, 04:53 AM)a740g Wrote: This is a rather intriguing idea. Personally, I love the idea of having an easily accessible math expression evaluator built into the language. However, Val historically have never parsed expressions. Doing this now, would be a breaking change. Perhaps we can expand Val like n = Val("3 * 3", -1), where the second optional argument would tell Val to enable the parser. No promises. Just thinking out loud.  Big Grin

Personally, I think this would be a terrible idea.  Basically, you'd be moving the math evaluator which we use for CONST and applying it to Val... and I can hear the complaints already!!  "Why isn't this command implemented?  Why can't I do VAL ("3 * INSTR(x$, "foo")")?  Or VAL("(ASC("B")")?  OR....

I predict nightmares for whoever is going to try to implement such.  

Instead, we should consider having a Resources folder, include the math evaluator in it, and then folks can just:

Code: (Select All)
PRINT Math$("3 * 3")
'$INCLUDE:'./Resources/math_eval.bas'
Yep, got it,thanks.
As usual I mised a line or two of Help that explained all of this pretty well!
But I liked Steve's idea of a Math$ function that would allow a similar result to what I wanted!
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
(12-10-2023, 05:09 AM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: Yep, got it,thanks.
As usual I mised a line or two of Help that explained all of this pretty well!
But I liked Steve's idea of a Math$ function that would allow a similar result to what I wanted!

Just plug it in!   https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1266
(12-10-2023, 05:01 AM)SMcNeill Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 04:53 AM)a740g Wrote: This is a rather intriguing idea. Personally, I love the idea of having an easily accessible math expression evaluator built into the language. However, Val historically have never parsed expressions. Doing this now, would be a breaking change. Perhaps we can expand Val like n = Val("3 * 3", -1), where the second optional argument would tell Val to enable the parser. No promises. Just thinking out loud.  Big Grin

Personally, I think this would be a terrible idea.  Basically, you'd be moving the math evaluator which we use for CONST and applying it to Val... and I can hear the complaints already!!  "Why isn't this command implemented?  Why can't I do VAL ("3 * INSTR(x$, "foo")")?  Or VAL("(ASC("B")")?  OR....

I predict nightmares for whoever is going to try to implement such.  

Instead, we should consider having a Resources folder, include the math evaluator in it, and then folks can just:

Code: (Select All)
PRINT Math$("3 * 3")
'$INCLUDE:'./Resources/math_eval.bas'
Now that you've said that... Yeah. The scope creep could be a disaster. This is best left to 3rd party libs.
"3 * 3" is an alphanumeric expression !

Val ("3 * 3") ---> 3
Val ("5 * 2") ---> 5
Val ("8 hundred dollars") ---> 8

In some old basic, this function existed: calculating an alphanumeric expression... 
X=Calculate("4 * 8")---> 32

But not here in qb64 Big Grin
Why not yes ?
(12-11-2023, 01:53 PM)euklides Wrote: "3 * 3" is an alphanumeric expression !

Val ("3 * 3") ---> 3
Val ("5 * 2") ---> 5

In some old basic, this function existed: calculating an alphanumeric expression... 

It is...  You just have to insert it yourself into your code: https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1266
(12-11-2023, 01:53 PM)euklides Wrote: "3 * 3" is an alphanumeric expression !

Val ("3 * 3") ---> 3
Val ("5 * 2") ---> 5

That old Basic was probably interpreted.  Interpreters have various evaluation functions built-in for internal use.  Many interpreters are nothing but glorified evaluation functions.

With a compiled language, expressions must either be resolvable during compilation or resolved one step at a time using program code, unless you have a separate evaluation engine ala Steve's built into your program.

(Greenspun's tenth rule of programming: Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.)
(In the modern day, this can be expanded to any sufficiently large program, involving any language(s).)