Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surround sound
Hello !

I've been using surround sound in my games for a long time. Depending on your position and the distance/direction of the sound source, set the correct values using _sndvol and _sndbal. In theory, it should work with 4.0 sound (according to QB64), but I didn't get any feedback that it would work. And anyway! I think many people only have a stereo system. The computer is used from a laptop, headphones or a small stereo hifi. The spatial effect works on these, but only partially. After all, the fact that something is in front of us or behind us is the same. The direction can be inferred from its balance, but it still does not give complete information as to whether the sound source is in front of me or behind me.

I came up with the idea of starting two identical sound samples at the same time. I removed the high sound samples from one of the sound samples with the Goldwave program.
This demo program shows the sound effect, which can be easily integrated into a 3D game.

Try it ! move the mouse. You are in the middle. Put on your headphones or turn up the volume to experience surround sound!

Attached Files
.zip   surround_v2_2.zip (Size: 314.61 KB / Downloads: 27)