Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shuffle
Some ancient history for you guys..

Waaaaayyyy back in 1902, before the US declared its independence from Japan, and right after the Great FreeBasic-64 War, The Amazing Steve found QB64 and showed up on the scene -- and this is the very first thing he ever posted at the ancient qb64 forums which are now lost to time.  Nooo... not the forums which were lost to time recently...  And not the forums before those forums which were lost to time.... and not the forums which were even before those forums....  This was posted in the forums from before THOSE forums!!

So we're talking ancient history here, and the code here shows that.

...and amazingly enough, it STILL works!!

So, for those of you who may have never seen it; and for those of you who want a blast from the past, here it is once again -- The Amazing Steve's very first QB64 program that he ever shared with the world wide web!!!

(Drum Roll Here)

.7z   Shuffle (GL Version).7z (Size: 16.87 MB / Downloads: 40)
Quote:... and this is the very first thing he ever posted at the ancient qb64 forums which are now lost to time. Nooo... not the forums which were lost to time recently... And not the forums before those forums which were lost to time.... and not the forums which were even before those forums.... This was posted in the forums from before THOSE forums!!

Do you mean the forums where Galleon was the head administrator, circa 2009? Or one that existed before that?

Because I had posted to the "circa 2009" forum. I'm sorry not to know better about you until I came across your modification to the SDL version of QB64 v0.954. I said to myself, "This guy named Steve is a bit energetic and egotistical, so we'll see if this is good enough". Went fairly deep with the modifications, to the IDE as well. But the key combination was complicated for me, chosen to enter search-and-replace macros on demand. And it was slow on my portable computer with suffering Celeron M processor. Smile

Thank you for sharing this program and many others. :tu:
This dates back to the pre-GL days.  The reason this archive is labeled "GL Version" is because I had to go in and modify things to work after the conversion from SDL to GL.  When Galleon converted us over to GL, he was still in the process of migrating commands and syntax and all over.  One thing he missed was the ability to use STEP with _PUTIMAGE, and this makes heavy use of that STEP to choose which tiles to move and shuffle around.  

To start with, I went in and had to make all the STEP statements absolute coordinates in the conversion.  _PUTIMAGE (x,y)-STEP(100,100) was turned into _PUTIMAGE (x, y)- (x + 100, y + 100), for instance.

Then, after being annoyed to death by that conversion process, I did some of my first real digging into the c-source of qb64 and made the changes to libqb myself so that STEP would work properly once again with _PUTIMAGE. 

This isn't just the first program which I shared on those ancient forums back then (they were the forums right after QB64 broke away from QBASIC.com and Galleon was hosting them with his first provider); this is also the main reason why I ever once worked up the courage to start delving into the c source and working on sorting out libqb and how it all functioned and worked together with things for us.  

As I said, there's a LOT of old history tied up in this little game!  Big Grin

I guess indirectly, it's one of the first real building blocks which has helped lead to us ending up all here together nowadays.  Wink