Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.11.0 Released!
(01-17-2024, 04:14 PM)bplus Wrote: First I've heard of this, sandbox that comes automatically with Windows (10) Pro (I just learned I had Pro) or Enterprise? (name just saw) or Windows 11.

How do you tell if a downloaded thing into Sandbox will screw up your system?
ie it's safe to allow out of sandbox and into regular system. I assume any files you make or delete or change or changes to settings while in sandbox disappear when you leave it?
Sandbox is just a stripped down version of Virtual PC. If you're using the sandbox to test for malware you'll need to load an anti-virus program each time since everything is wiped on exit. Defender will run (I think) but that is all.

IMO it's better to use something like Virtualbox with a copy of the OS installed that also has an anti-virus program running. It's also helpful to have all of your other tools preinstalled in the Virtualbox OS, like root kit detectors, etc..

After you make your Virtualbox OS image save a copy that you can copy back over for those times when malware infects it. This will refresh your image back to your clean install with tools and anti-virus software preinstalled.

By the way, the only virus tool I run on my daily driver is Microsoft Security Essentials. Those bloated anti-virus programs are crap. As long as you use common sense on the Internet you won't get infected. The only viruses I have detected over the last 10 years are from old hard drives of mine that I hook up via USB to scan for old files. Now and then a ZIP may contained the Stoned virus, or Happy99 and the like. MS Security Essentials detects these with ease.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial

Messages In This Thread
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.11.0 Released! - by a740g - 01-03-2024, 05:45 PM
RE: QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.11.0 Released! - by TerryRitchie - 01-17-2024, 07:32 PM