Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Portable version of Terry Ritchie's tutorial
Portable version of Terry Ritchie's tutorial

Some time ago, I saw a request for a portable version of Terry Ritchie's excellent QB64 tutorial and decided to convert the online version accordingly.

Quick install:
Download the attached file and extract it to a folder of your choice. Run the tutorial by double-clicking index.html; alternatively, from your browser, open the file manually.

Detailed install:
1) Create a new folder to contain the tutorial files; for example, name it "QB64pe-tutorial."
2) Download the attached 7z archive file "portable_TR_tutorial.7z" and save it to the folder you created above.
3) Assuming you have 7-Zip installed, right-click on the file "portable_TR_tutorial.7z," mouse over "7-Zip," and from the side menu, click the item "Extract Here."
4) A new folder, portable_TR_tutorial, is created, containing all the tutorial files.
5) Navigate into this folder. Run the tutorial by double-clicking index.html; alternatively, from your browser, open the file manually.

Note: If you do not have 7-Zip installed on your computer, visit the 7-Zip web site at https://www.7-zip.org/ to download and install the appropriate version for your system.
Alternatively, use the portable apps version: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable.

All the best

Attached Files
.7z   portable_TR_tutorial.7z (Size: 10.48 MB / Downloads: 59)
Wow! This is excellent work! How did you extract the HTML? Did you use a tool to create this?

How easy is it to update your portable version when changes are made to the tutorial?

May I include this in the tutorial for others to download?

Very nice! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been tinkering around with ways of extracting the HTML for a few months now. This looks very clean and professional.

Terry
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(01-06-2024, 06:28 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Wow! This is excellent work! How did you extract the HTML? Did you use a tool to create this?

How easy is it to update your portable version when changes are made to the tutorial?

Very nice! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been tinkering around with ways of extracting the HTML for a few months now. This looks very clean and professional.

Terry
1) Wow! This is excellent work! How did you extract the HTML? Did you use a tool to create this?

There are no special tools. I used a standard text editor (EditPade Lite) to create new HTML pages. I viewed your tutorial and copied text from the browser window and pasted it into appropriate HTML tags.

2) How easy is it to update your portable version when changes are made to the tutorial?

Changing existing pages is straight-forward. Just open that page in a text editor and make the changes; add new HTML tags as required.

Adding new pages is relatively easy. Create a template by copying an existing page. Change its name and delete content between the "start content" and "end content" markers. Add new page content.

3) May I include this in the tutorial for others to download?

It's your tutorial, so yes.

4) Very nice! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been tinkering around with ways of extracting the HTML for a few months now. This looks very clean and professional.

Feel free to modiyy this portable version as you see fit.

All the best
That looks awesome! Thanks mpgcan for using a white background and dark text.
(Sorry, TerryRitchie, but my old eyes are used to a light  background Wink )
(01-07-2024, 11:17 AM)Cybermonkey342 Wrote: That looks awesome! Thanks mpgcan for using a white background and dark text.
(Sorry, TerryRitchie, but my old eyes are used to a light  background Wink )
I poked around the editor for Google Sites and can't find any way to allow the user to change the color scheme. I can do it in the editor rather easily with a few clicks, but passing that functionality on to users is non-existent unfortunately.

There may be a way to add this functionality with modern HTML techniques, but I stopped writing HTML back in the HTML v1.1 days.

Does anyone else suggest that the colors should be changed? I find the yellow on blue very easy on the eyes but if this is not the case with others please let me know and I'll see if I can change the color palette to something brighter.

(01-07-2024, 10:39 AM)mpgcan Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 06:28 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Wow! This is excellent work! How did you extract the HTML? Did you use a tool to create this?

Terry
1) Wow! This is excellent work! How did you extract the HTML? Did you use a tool to create this?

There are no special tools. I used a standard text editor (EditPade Lite) to create new HTML pages. I viewed your tutorial and copied text from the browser window and pasted it into appropriate HTML tags.

2) How easy is it to update your portable version when changes are made to the tutorial?

Changing existing pages is straight-forward. Just open that page in a text editor and make the changes; add new HTML tags as required.

Adding new pages is relatively easy. Create a template by copying an existing page. Change its name and delete content between the "start content" and "end content" markers. Add new page content.

3) May I include this in the tutorial for others to download?

It's your tutorial, so yes.

4) Very nice! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been tinkering around with ways of extracting the HTML for a few months now. This looks very clean and professional.

Feel free to modiyy this portable version as you see fit.

All the best
Thank you for the replies. My goodness, you did this by hand! That was my last resort as it is a LOT of work. Thank you again for taking the time to do this!
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial