Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search possibly bringing up wrong result
When I search the wiki for variable types this page comes up:

https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.p...able_Types

which is correct.

When I search the wiki for type this page comes up:

https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/Type

I would have expected the page for the TYPE statement to come up instead.

When I search the wiki for end type this page appears:

https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/TYPE

which is the page for the TYPE statement.

The only way to get the TYPE statement page to appear using search is to enter TYPE in capital letters. I see the two previous pages I listed above end in Type and TYPE. In my opinion I believe it would be better to have a search for type (regardless of case) point to the TYPE statement's page. Just seems it may be a bit confusing for budding QB64PE programmers.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
The mediawiki search is not very smart at all IMO, it first looks for page titles before doing a full text search and the fact that page titles are case sensitive makes it not better. We indeed have a page called "Type" and one "TYPE", but that's the only page which has two different spellings. I'll look to remove the "Type" page soon as it seems to be mostly redundant with the "Variable Types" page, I just have to make sure to let no death links to "Type" behind.
(01-26-2024, 07:33 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: The mediawiki search is not very smart at all IMO, it first looks for page titles before doing a full text search and the fact that page titles are case sensitive makes it not better. We indeed have a page called "Type" and one "TYPE", but that's the only page which has two different spellings. I'll look to remove the "Type" page soon as it seems to be mostly redundant with the "Variable Types" page, I just have to make sure to let no death links to "Type" behind.
Thanks for looking into this. Every now and then I'll get personal emails from users of the tutorial that state they can't find the information they need in the Wiki. For some reason they always seem to miss the keyword reference links on the Wiki home page. Perhaps making them stand out a little more will help?
QB64 Tutorial
(01-26-2024, 07:40 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 07:33 PM)RhoSigma Wrote: The mediawiki search is not very smart at all IMO, it first looks for page titles before doing a full text search and the fact that page titles are case sensitive makes it not better. We indeed have a page called "Type" and one "TYPE", but that's the only page which has two different spellings. I'll look to remove the "Type" page soon as it seems to be mostly redundant with the "Variable Types" page, I just have to make sure to let no death links to "Type" behind.
Thanks for looking into this. Every now and then I'll get personal emails from users of the tutorial that state they can't find the information they need in the Wiki. For some reason they always seem to miss the keyword reference links on the Wiki home page. Perhaps making them stand out a little more will help?

Will look into that, but as you use the "Export" feature of the IDE and so all your code examples already have keyword links to the respective wiki page, you could also place a prominent note about that on your Lessons TOC page. Guess most people don't realize these links if they not randomly move the mouse over it and the link title pops up.
(01-26-2024, 07:58 PM)RhoSigma Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 07:40 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

Will look into that, but as you use the "Export" feature of the IDE and so all your code examples already have keyword links to the respective wiki page, you could also place a prominent note about that on your Lessons TOC page. Guess most people don't realize these links if they not randomly move the mouse over it and the link title pops up.
That's a good point, I'll do that.
QB64 Tutorial
The old redundant mixed case "Type" page is eliminated now, only the all upper case "TYPE" which is about user datatypes exists now, so it will be found when searching for "type".

All links pointing to the old "Type" page are redirected to the "Variable Types" page now.