Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64PE Offline Wiki (02-06-2024)
If you guys remember, back around Christmas I uploaded a version of our offline wiki then.  That version came in at around 2MB in file size and can still be found hosted on the forums here.  Only thing was, I didn't include any of the images and such for that version (hence the very small size), which produced a readable -- though not quite as pretty -- version of the wiki.

Now, as you guys probably know, I'm not lacking on disk space at all.  I left the images out of the wiki back at Christmas so that it'd be as portable and useful to as many people as possible.  As for myself, however, I wanted a version with all the bells and whistles and pretty little pretties, so I could surf offline without really noticing much difference from surfing online...

And thus I redid the download which now comes in at a larger 32MB compressed size.  (About 290MB uncompressed, give or take.)  Anyone who wants this newer, shinier version, can grab it from the attachment below.  Note that the actual content hasn't changed all that much since X-Mas.  This just has *ALL* the possible resources and not just the html files and such in it.  Wink

.7z   QB64PE Wiki.7z (Size: 32.28 MB / Downloads: 58)

.chm   QB64PE Help.chm (Size: 32.59 MB / Downloads: 31)

.chm   QB64PE Help (Cleaned Up).chm (Size: 5.58 MB / Downloads: 51)
Thank you Smile
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(02-06-2024, 03:59 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Thank you Smile

+1
Thanks!

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
If you guys will go back to the first post in this thread, you'll see that there's now a CHM file which you can download and use as a help file for QB64PE.

What's CHM, some of you ask?

It's basically the compressed HTML help files that you normally find with microsoft software and such.

My advice to use this in a familiar navigatable manner?  Click on the LOCAL INDEX header and let it navigate you to the main wiki page automatically, as shown in the screenshot below.

Note that this is just a first attempt to play around with creating CHM files from our offline wiki, and it's basically just the free (and "watermarked") version of WinCHM at work.  Personally, I think this needs a good bit of cleaning up, with a lot of the useless wiki pages removed from it (such as all those history pages and chat pages where the wiki editors can talk about the best way to convey the information necessary for a page), but as of now, it's got the whole shabang in there.  

I'd rather include 80 pages of worthless junk in a help file, than accidently remove the one file that someone might actually need.  Big Grin

If someone wants to take this a step further and clean it up for us, feel free.  Otherwise, you guys will just have to wait until time and motivation hits poor ole Steve, before you get another (hopefully better) version like this in the future.

Enjoy!  Wink
If you guys notice, there's now THREE versions of the wiki at the bottom of the first post to grab a copy of and play around with.  The newest version is my attempt at cleaning up the last CHM file and getting rid of the chat/history and such, and leaving it with the current and relevant information.

Thing is...  I took us from 33MB help file to a 5MB help file...  So I may have took a little too much help out of the help file.  LOL!   Folks who'd like to, could help test the various versions and see if they find anything in particular missing from any version, and/or report back on how things perform for them.

I'm not a super big user of CHM files personally, but from my limited testing, everything *SEEMS* to be there, that anyone would really want/need to be there.

I suppose time (and more downloads/testers) will prove how useful/less this is for folks.  If people like it, I'll try and update versions in the future.  If not, then I won't waste my time on something nobody will ever use anyway.  Big Grin
This is sweet. Thank you @SMcNeill!
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(02-24-2024, 07:16 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: If you guys notice, there's now THREE versions of the wiki at the bottom of the first post to grab a copy of and play around with.  The newest version is my attempt at cleaning up the last CHM file and getting rid of the chat/history and such, and leaving it with the current and relevant information.

Thing is...  I took us from 33MB help file to a 5MB help file...  So I may have took a little too much help out of the help file.  LOL!   Folks who'd like to, could help test the various versions and see if they find anything in particular missing from any version, and/or report back on how things perform for them.

I'm not a super big user of CHM files personally, but from my limited testing, everything *SEEMS* to be there, that anyone would really want/need to be there.

I suppose time (and more downloads/testers) will prove how useful/less this is for folks.  If people like it, I'll try and update versions in the future.  If not, then I won't waste my time on something nobody will ever use anyway.  Big Grin

There's always someone to spoil the party (and it's usually me)...
I've downloaded both the CHM and CHW versions, and can't get either of them to open to anything except a screen with the Index link on it.
Clicking this gives me a list of very juicy-looking topics, but I can't go to any of these Clicking them just highlights them but nothing else.
I know it's my ineptitude, but can someone advise me here, please?
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
What OS are you using @PhilOfPerth ?  For Windows users, it should be as simple as click to open, with the cleaned up CHM going directly to the wiki main page.  For Linux/Mac...  I have no idea what they use for such things.  Have you tried to open it using a browser?  Most of those should read a CHM file as it's nothing any more complicated than just a compressed HTML format of files.