Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Cost Update 2024
(03-09-2024, 11:48 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Got today's donations in.  One PalPal donation for $31.44. (Such an odd amount!  I suppose it was originally in Euros or some other currency and then converted over to US Dollars.)  I also got the first pledged check in the mail today for $100.00.

Our server costs are now covered for 2024 -- and EXCEEDED!!  As we get closer to the April deadline, I'll check to see what a muti-year cost runs, and if possible I'll sign us up for such a plan.  If not, whatever is left over this year will be saved and used to help cover next years costs and any unforseen price hikes and such. 

Many thanks to one and all who have donated and help keep our server and wiki going for us!  You're all truly appreciated.  Smile
yes, it's mine.30 Euros...
This community is awesome. Thanks everyone for helping out. Let's see if we can get that extra $165 for another year.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
A pledge of "the checks in the mail" for $165 was promised today by an old-time member who wishes to remain anonymous.  This should now cover the costs so we can reach the two-year renewal tier for the server.

IF folks want to keep donating, the next tier will be around $220.00 higher than this one (for the three year renewal -- which saves compared to the $263 per year basic renewal). 

One thing to keep in mind:  IF prices don't raise, and IF we keep the currently monthly Patreons donating at the same rate they are now, our server costs should be 100% covered from this point on.  We're not hitting very high above the cost ceiling, so any changes to Hostgator pricing in the future will affect that, but as of this moment, we *should* be 100% sustainable via the Patreon alone.

The only real reason to extend this year's service to multiple years is:  1) to drop the overall cost-per-year as much as possible, so that the Patreon will always be able to keep above any price increases, and 2) to lock in the rates as they exist so we don't have to worry about any rate hikes in the forseeable future.

At the moment, we're now covered for a 2-year renewal.  With $220.00 more, we'll hit the 3-year renewal.  At that point, you guys won't be able to donate any more even you wanted too, as there'd be absolutely nothing for us to do with it!  3-years is the longest plan they'd let us sign up for...

..so if you guys want to donate, you can, but kindly keep an eye on this topic here if you do, so you won't be attemping to push us over the limit of what we can actually spend.

If we *did* happen to go over that limit??

Umm...

I guess it's, "Thanks a lot!  Steve will eat a steak dinner with the rest!"   LOL!!
(03-15-2024, 10:11 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: If we *did* happen to go over that limit??

Umm...

I guess it's, "Thanks a lot!  Steve will eat a steak dinner with the rest!"   LOL!!
And I would not have a problem with that at all Smile
QB64 Tutorial
One thing to note, as I keep mentioning *price hikes* -- here's the orignial post where I shared the cost of the forums and such: https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=25

In 2022, a one-year subscription was $203.40.
Now, in 2024, that same one-year subscription is $263.88.

(And those figures don't include the .com domain name or privacy protection costs, which are separate.)

A 30% price increase over the last two years!   I would think once folks can see and compare the math for themselves, everyone would be able to see why I'd prefer getting us the longest subscription that we possibly could, just to lock in the current rates!  Wink
I'm not questioning your costs, I'd like to inquire about why your costs are so high, i.e. what services do your hosting company provide?

This is not an advertisement, and I receive no remuneration for recommending them, but I have a hosting plan from Hostgator.com. I use the "baby" plan, which allows two websites (I think they mean using the ones they have done "1-click"  installation), as I have more than two domains running there.  You might want to actually check the amount of storage used by files and databases, and, figuring how much it might expand over the next three years, and see if this might save money:

Baby Plan: No ads, 2 sites, 20GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, E-mail, SSL certificate, $135 for three years (averages $3.75/month on 3-year contract).
Business Plan: No ads, 3 sites, 40GB SSD, unmetered bandwith, free daily backup of your website for 1 year, E-mail, SSL certificate, $225 for three years (averages $6.25/mo on three year contract).

I mean, the services you mention you're getting don't sound like it's a lot more than what Hostgator provides. If you are getting some special extra services justifying the extra cost, fine, but I thought I'd mention it, because it doesn't sound like you're doing anything that justifies the extra cost. I mean, I don't know your situation, and I may be completely clueless to what is going on, but I thought I'd suggest it.

Paul
- - -
Paul Robinson <paul@paul-robinson.us>
"The lessons of history - if they teach us anything - is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while
If you look, we do have the Hostgator business plan.  Smile

I think what you're getting is some promotional cost.  Once set up and renewal comes around, the prices certainly aren't in that range anymore.  Smile

As for our storage, I think we're already well above those limits.  I'll have to remember to check and get our actual size when I log in to renew our subscription for us once again.  Smile
On all this, what ever happened to QB64 having an actual website? Nobody cares or nobody has the "time"? Which is it?
Nobody cares.  What's the point to having to update a website that basically just ends up sending you to the forums or wiki?  Bookmark those and save that middleman step.  ?
(03-18-2024, 11:57 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Nobody cares.  What's the point to having to update a website that basically just ends up sending you to the forums or wiki?  Bookmark those and save that middleman step.  ?
The only thing QB64 web sites did in the past really was to explain what QB64 is and a little progression history from GWBasic -> QBasic/QuickBasic -> QB64. That may still be something first time visitors are looking for.

Perhaps in the link bar below the main graphic ( Portal  Search  Member List  Calendar  Help ) another link could be added: "What is QB64PE" that explains what QB64PE is, it's history, and goals.
QB64 Tutorial