Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Tutorial Lesson 5 Updated
UPDATE 04/22/24
--------------------

The PCOPY statement has been added to lesson 5 along with an example game highlighting its use. The tutorial asset file has also been updated to include this code.

UPDATE 04/13/24
--------------------

The _PIXELSIZE and _NEWIMAGE statements have been added to lesson 5. _NEWIMAGE was always included but now broken out to it's own section.

Legacy screens are now covered in the SCREEN section in lesson 5.

Screen pages and page flipping are now covered in lesson 5.

The tutorial asset file has once again been updated to include the new sample source code.

------------------------------

The DRAW, POINT, and PSET statements have been added to Lesson 5 of the tutorial.

The tutorial asset file has also been updated to incorporate the associated example programs that go along with the additions.

This is a big update, the DRAW command has a huge subset of commands to explain.

PSET was always included in Lesson 5 but just as a paragraph from another command. I broke it out to its own section.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Just in time for me. I just started Lesson 5.
(04-11-2024, 02:55 AM)Tim Wrote: Just in time for me. I just started Lesson 5.

Make sure to download the asset file again. It's been updated with the new example programs for Lesson 5.
QB64 Tutorial
Thanks, Terry! Will check it out.
(04-11-2024, 01:59 PM)NakedApe Wrote: Thanks, Terry! Will check it out.
Let me know if anything is unclear or needs to be added or corrected.
QB64 Tutorial
One thing I noticed which folks might find quite useful, that you might want to add:  _PixelSize.  This seems like an excellent place to include it in the tutorial, and it's quite useful in many instances, just so an user can figure out what screen they're working on.

PixelSize = 0 <-- Text Screen
PixelSize = 1 <-- 8-bit Screen
PixelSize = 4 <-- 32-bit color Screen

^Those can come in very, very handy -- especially if ever writting _MEM routines which you want to use across various screen modes.  Smile
(04-12-2024, 04:29 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: One thing I noticed which folks might find quite useful, that you might want to add:  _PixelSize.  This seems like an excellent place to include it in the tutorial, and it's quite useful in many instances, just so an user can figure out what screen they're working on.

PixelSize = 0 <-- Text Screen
PixelSize = 1 <-- 8-bit Screen
PixelSize = 4 <-- 32-bit color Screen

^Those can come in very, very handy -- especially if ever writting _MEM routines which you want to use across various screen modes.  Smile
Yes, _PIXELSIZE is definitely on the list for Lesson 23: Direct Memory Manipulation.

In lesson 5 I purposely avoid the legacy screens and introduce instead SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(). However, I do agree _PIXELSIZE should be covered during the SCREEN introduction. I'll expand on the SCREEN statement to include the legacy and 256 color screens and then explain how _PIXELSIZE can be used to identify them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
QB64 Tutorial
See the first post - more updates to lesson 5.
QB64 Tutorial
Another update. See original post above.
QB64 Tutorial