Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Window Width in IDE menu
I had a reader email me with a question regarding the new IDE lesson I just posted.

In the Options menu of the IDE and then inside Display is the Window width: input field based on characters per line in relation to mono-spaced or proportional fonts?

I'm pretty sure there is no difference, characters per line is characters per line regardless, but I want to clarify so that I have the correct information.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
ok i just checked when i toggle x off for monospace, my window shrinks down from 18 pixel lucon to 8x16 and width 116 is same BUT of that 116 my highest column is 111 i believe the other 5 chars are for borders and scroll bars...
b = b + ...
Doesn't matter if you toggle off X for monospace with the IDE -- the IDE is 100% written in SCREEN 0, and SCREEN 0 **ONLY** works with monospace.  If you load a font to use in the IDE, it's going to be monospaced.

Now, with that stated, let me also state that it doesn't matter if the font you use is true monospace, proportional, or even variable-width.  The IDE is going to basically run a small script which looks for the widest character in your font, and then it's going to add padding to all the other characters so they become that set width.  

The IDE will **FORCE** that monospace setting, on any non-monospace font.   And whoooo boy, does it end up looking stupid weird!!   Try one of the script fonts sometime, where capital characters are oversized and have wide flourishes attached to them....
Thanks for the replies. I'll relay the info.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial