Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to update PE
I'm sure I'm doing it wrong! To update, I currently download the new file (into my Downloads folder), then extract the files to my QB64PE folder (which is directly on the C: drive).
I then go to this new folder in PE, and copy all the files to the PE folder itself. I'm prompted to write over old files found or to skip the copy. 
Is there a quicker/simpler way to update (maybe skipping files that are not changed)?
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
i would start a whole new folder for the new version, that way you have the old versions too. i also keep all my qb64 files in a seperate folder. i also follow this checklist;

Code: (Select All)
Downloaded
Extract to Desktop to avoid notifications
add files to QB64.exe folder from QB Files - might just need Direntry.h for old files, Falcon.h for sure

test new download IDE
    set Multi Highlite off Options > IDE Colors DIALOG
    set comments color to 0,180,120 in default IDE display theme
    set Run > * Output .Exe to Source folder
    set Dialog Load File BULLET off so can start in Short cuts directory OPTIONS > LAST ITEM
    use Camoflage for 2nd screen
    large print options > display [x] use monospace lucon.ttf 18 pixels width 116, height 39

Windows stuff:
Shortcut to new exe
Shortcut properties > startup = QB Files (full path)
REMOVE OLD VERSION SHORTCUTS
Pin to startup and taskbar

get bas assoc to new exe
    rename old VERSION with old to disable last assoc
    pick a bas and Open With...
    check box always open with
    browse other apps to new the new QB64.exe and use!
    remove old from old version name once new assoc works

edit: this file gets new notes or refinements every time i update!

b = b + ...
Copying a new software installation over an old one can be risky; if any EXEs, DLLs, or scripts from the old version become intermingled with the new version then merry mayhem may ensue when you use the mixed-up software.

My working PE folder is simply called "qb64pe", with no version number.  Conveniently that's the name of the base PE folder within the distribution's 7Zip archives.  Within that folder I create an empty text file with the PE version info, such as "qb64pe_win-x64-3.13.0_(Vista+).txt" so I can see at a glance what I'm working with.  (Didja notice how I cleverly included the Windows version requirement in that text file name?  That's a side effect of my archive naming scheme.)

Before installing a new PE release, I'll rename the current PE folder, adding the version number to the end of the name.

I then extract the new version into a shiny new "qb64pe" folder, and transfer any files and working folders that I want to keep from the old folder.

After I've driven the new version and am satisfied, I'll delete the older installation.  You can pack the older version into an archive if want to keep it around in a compact way.
(I keep archives of all currently installed software along with many previous versions, so I've already got the old version if I need it.)

Quick and easy, with no need to update any shortcuts or file associations.
What I'd suggest is:

1) Create yourself a nice little permanent folder for your own stuff.   "C:\QB64PE Files\", for example.
2) Whitelist this folder so it never gets scanned by antivirus and causes issues.
3) Add windows firewall exemptions for this folder, so any TCP/IP stuff you write with it will always be able to reach the internet.

4) Download the latest version of QB64PE.
5) Extract to it's own folder:  "C:\QB64PE v3.13.1\"
6) Go into the OPTIONS and set the "Save EXE with SOURCE" option.
7) Save your stuff in your own personal "C:\QB64PE Files\" folder, before compiing to EXE.

PRESTO!!  

Now, in the future, all you have to do is repeat steps 4-7 and extract to whatever the new version is.  If you don't need the old version for comparison, or testing, feel free to delete it -- the only files that should be in it are the temp "Untitled.EXE" files and such that you didn't save before compiling.

By following this template, all your old stuff stays where it always was.  It's always whitelisted and firewall expempted.  All you have to do is grab the latest version, extract it, and run with it.

I personally think it's the best way to go.  Wink
(05-16-2024, 03:56 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: What I'd suggest is:

1) Create yourself a nice little permanent folder for your own stuff.   "C:\QB64PE Files\", for example.
2) Whitelist this folder so it never gets scanned by antivirus and causes issues.
3) Add windows firewall exemptions for this folder, so any TCP/IP stuff you write with it will always be able to reach the internet.

4) Download the latest version of QB64PE.
5) Extract to it's own folder:  "C:\QB64PE v3.13.1\"
6) Go into the OPTIONS and set the "Save EXE with SOURCE" option.
7) Save your stuff in your own personal "C:\QB64PE Files\" folder, before compiing to EXE.

PRESTO!!  

Now, in the future, all you have to do is repeat steps 4-7 and extract to whatever the new version is.  If you don't need the old version for comparison, or testing, feel free to delete it -- the only files that should be in it are the temp "Untitled.EXE" files and such that you didn't save before compiling.

By following this template, all your old stuff stays where it always was.  It's always whitelisted and firewall expempted.  All you have to do is grab the latest version, extract it, and run with it.

I personally think it's the best way to go.  Wink

@SMcNeill: I just tried this, and 35 minutes later, I'm still waiting for the files to be extracted from the zip.
Maybe my system's slow (like me), but I think I'll stay with the setup I created earlier. I've backed up my files 
to another place, so if things come unstuck  I'll just re-install. Thanks to all.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Don't use Windows built in zip extractor.  It's slow, klunky and broken.  Grab a copy of 7z, winrar, winzip, or some other free extractor and use them to extract your zip files.  It usually takes less than a minute.
(05-16-2024, 08:08 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Don't use Windows built in zip extractor.  It's slow, klunky and broken.  Grab a copy of 7z, winrar, winzip, or some other free extractor and use them to extract your zip files.  It usually takes less than a minute.

I'm using 7z. I don't understand why it takes so long, it's usually pretty fast Huh
Edit: I've just realized, I had not white-listed the new folder, and files were being scanned as they were extracted. All good now. Sorry.
(05-16-2024, 09:28 AM)PhilOfPerth Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 08:08 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Don't use Windows built in zip extractor.  It's slow, klunky and broken.  Grab a copy of 7z, winrar, winzip, or some other free extractor and use them to extract your zip files.  It usually takes less than a minute.

I'm using 7z. I don't understand why it takes so long, it's usually pretty fast Huh
Edit: I've just realized, I had not white-listed the new folder, and files were being scanned as they were extracted. All good now. Sorry.

Hi PhilOfPerth, I'm glad you got everything straightened out by whitelisting your new installation folder.

One other thing I'll mention in case it helps others who experience unusually long extraction times is to right-click the .7z file, choose Properties, (you should already be on the "General" tab), and at the bottom beside "Security" put a check in the box to "Unblock".
The extraction process usually slows down after 40 to 50% and can take over an hour for me if I don't unblock the file before attempting to extract it.
Is the unzip process slow only for PE, or do other archives with a lot of files also suffer?

@Stuart's tip is good.  I never thought of that.

Also try turning off active scanning when you unzip, because your antivirus/antimalware may be inspecting each file as it is pulled from the archive.  A/V suites like Symantec & McAfee can make unzipping archives excruciatingly slow.

(
Quote:@PhilOfPerth :  Edit: I've just realized, I had not white-listed the new folder, and files were being scanned as they were extracted. All good now. Sorry.
I just saw that line.  You've got it.)
From terminal:

git pull
./setup_lnx.sh

Requires you clone the repo ahead of time.
The setup_lnx.sh can be replaced with setup_osx.command or setup_win.cmd.

To clone:

Open terminal
cd wherever
git clone https://github.com/QB64-PhoenixEdition/QB64pe

That's it.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs