Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
qbjs & qb64pe compatibility and equivalent for other languages like Python?
I'm finally getting around to being curious about qbjs - what features of QB64PE does it not support? 

I'm thinking that a fully portable interpreter that runs in a browser, even locally, would be great for playing with other languages like Python, without having to install them on your system. Is there a qbjs equivalent for Python, Pascal, Lua, or any other cool languages? 

Thanks
(05-20-2024, 04:06 PM)madscijr Wrote: I'm finally getting around to being curious about qbjs - what features of QB64PE does it not support? 

I’m maintaining a list of both supported and unsupported keywords here:
Supported Keywords
Unsupported Keywords

There is also a general outline of the QBasic language support here:
QBasic Language Support

The goal is to increase the level of compatibility with each release.  Version 2.0.2 is what I’m currently targeting from a compatibility perspective for QB64.  This was the current version when I first started tracking and the last version before the community split.
(05-20-2024, 04:06 PM)madscijr Wrote: I'm thinking that a fully portable interpreter that runs in a browser, even locally, would be great for playing with other languages like Python, without having to install them on your system. Is there a qbjs equivalent for Python, Pascal, Lua, or any other cool languages? 

Thanks

There are many!  One of my favorites: OnlineGDB  It supports 20 or so languages, including C, Java, Python and Pascal.  Not Lua though. I like it cause you can debug online!  And also it supports curses and ansi escape codes, which is sort of unique as these things go.

One that supports Lua (and many others) is the semi-famous Tutorialspoint

Yabasic online , FreeBasic online

Again, there are many!

Might be fun to start a thread listing some of them and noting which ones are good and which are not so good.
(05-20-2024, 06:51 PM)dbox Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 04:06 PM)madscijr Wrote: I'm finally getting around to being curious about qbjs - what features of QB64PE does it not support? 

I’m maintaining a list of both supported and unsupported keywords here:
Supported Keywords
Unsupported Keywords

There is also a general outline of the QBasic language support here:
QBasic Language Support

The goal is to increase the level of compatibility with each release.  Version 2.0.2 is what I’m currently targeting from a compatibility perspective for QB64.  This was the current version when I first started tracking and the last version before the community split.

Thank you! This is very useful!

(05-21-2024, 09:30 AM)Ed Davis Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 04:06 PM)madscijr Wrote: I'm thinking that a fully portable interpreter that runs in a browser, even locally, would be great for playing with other languages like Python, without having to install them on your system. Is there a qbjs equivalent for Python, Pascal, Lua, or any other cool languages? 

Thanks
There are many!  One of my favorites: OnlineGDB  It supports 20 or so languages, including C, Java, Python and Pascal.  Not Lua though. I like it cause you can debug online!  And also it supports curses and ansi escape codes, which is sort of unique as these things go.

One that supports Lua (and many others) is the semi-famous Tutorialspoint

Yabasic online , FreeBasic online

Again, there are many!

Might be fun to start a thread listing some of them and noting which ones are good and which are not so good.
That's so cool - thanks. 
Yes, it would be helpful to see people's feedback on which ones are best...

PS You're not by chance related to Ted "Jambalayah" Davis, the guitar playing carpet laying VB6 king of South Florida, are you? Just a very colorful programmer I once knew. LoL  Tongue
You can probably feed QBJS into GPT4o and have it convert it to Python
Tread on those who tread on you

(05-22-2024, 03:34 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: You can probably feed QBJS into GPT4o and have it convert it to Python
I was having GPT (2? It was a couple years ago, before GPT3 caused a stir) do just that! 
It seemed like a good way to learn Python, by just feeding it various routines that do stuff in one language (I was feeding it JavaScript) and seeing the equivalent in the other. 
It worked pretty well, considering. I imagine GPT4 is a lot better.
I'm thinking of making a QBJS GPT by feeding it the latest archive of the QBJS repo. I don't know where to find documentation for it, though.
Tread on those who tread on you

(05-22-2024, 06:09 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: I'm thinking of making a QBJS GPT by feeding it the latest archive of the QBJS repo. I don't know where to find documentation for it, though.
Why not just ask GPT to write the documention?  Tongue
(05-21-2024, 01:23 PM)madscijr Wrote: PS You're not by chance related to Ted "Jambalayah" Davis, the guitar playing carpet laying VB6 king of South Florida, are you? Just a very colorful programmer I once knew. LoL  Tongue
Er, no Smile
(05-22-2024, 07:47 PM)Ed Davis Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 01:23 PM)madscijr Wrote: PS You're not by chance related to Ted "Jambalayah" Davis, the guitar playing carpet laying VB6 king of South Florida, are you? Just a very colorful programmer I once knew. LoL  Tongue
Er, no Smile
Ha! Sorry, I just had to ask, LoL!